Options
2»

Comments

• Crabman
    Crabman Posts: 9,943 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Fen1 wrote: »
    By law, they are entitled to a Service Charge.

Are you sure, I always thought you didn't have to at a restaurant?
    Service charges

You do not have to pay service charges. And if the service charge is included in the food – you are legally entitled to deduct a reasonable amount if the service was not as expected – say 10% - 15%.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/consumer-rights-refunds-exchan#restaurants
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not all restaurants include a service charge.

It may be the norm, say, in London but it isn't the norm everywhere.

Also, not everyone tips regardless of whether meal/service is good or not.
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Service Charge for tap water at pubs and bars( if they wish to enforce it). I checked that one after a bar tried to charge me for a glass of water . Perhaps different in restaurants - never had any problems there.
  • CLARABEL
    CLARABEL Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    I agree with the other posters,

Firstly, I ALWAYS have tap water when I have a meal out, yes, I do order other drinks, and it's often wine ( if I can afford it!), and in all the years I've been doing so, I've never been charged for it. I would certainly withold my tip if I was ever refused/charged for tap water, as it's hardly going to put the restaurant out of business.

Obviously, if I weren't ordering other drinks or a decent meal, then I would think differently about the matter!

Just my Take

Clara:p
  • chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    some bars charge for soda water.

i find it hilarious. folk buyin lime n soda and payin like £1.50 when really its 20p just for the cordial. it amazes me how many folk just pay it.
  • TomsMom
    TomsMom Posts: 4,251 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    chuckley wrote: »
    some bars charge for soda water.

i find it hilarious. folk buyin lime n soda and payin like £1.50 when really its 20p just for the cordial. it amazes me how many folk just pay it.

Depends if the soda water comes from a soda syphon or a small mixer bottle. Soda in mixer bottles costs the same as any other mixer eg. tonic water. Soda syphons still cost money but probably a lot less than mixers. Or have soda syphons been done away with and it now comes through those awful squirty taps in bars?
  • skintmostofthetime
    Options
    Cheers folks. Looks like I'll be forced in to having a bottle of wine - oh dear I was sooo going to be good too - next time I go there as well as the water. What a pity !! ( ???? !!!! )
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    Options
    I can only recall being refused tapwater once, in a Chinese place in Birmingham. We ordered wine but they then refused a jug of water, saying they could only supply bottled. We had a bottle, and at the end of the meal told the waiter that there was no tip as we had bought the mineral water with it. He didn't look pleased! And of course we never went back.

I am sure I have read somewhere that in France they are obliged by law to supply tapwater free if you ask for it. I always do, and find they are invariably quite happy to supply it. Many places put carafes of water in the fridge at the start of service, a nice touch.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure