Cheap soft drinks in pubs

Options
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but picked up a top tip last weekend from my brother-in-law, and wanted to share.

If you're in a pub/bar/club/wherever, and you're not drinking alcohol, your choices are either tap water (free - we hope) or fruit juice (£1.60 minimum), right? Wrong. If you get, eg, a lime and soda, the actual shot of cordial costs about 30p. So, if you ask for a shot of cordial topped up with tap water, you get a nice cheap glass of squash! :j

Was thus saved from penury by being able to buy my kids 20p glasses of orange squash all weekend (we were at a folk festival, don't start on me!) rather than overpriced Britvic pineapple juice. Hurrah.
:TProud to be dealing with my debts :T

Comments

• chuckley
    chuckley Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    no the same as OJ tho isit?!
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,530 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I always have a pint of squash when driving - costs less than £1. I drink it because you get a decent amount, rather than half a pint if you buy a coke or J2O etc.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    All depends on where you are drinking ... most chains have different prices!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • u2o
    u2o Posts: 349 Forumite
    Options
    and in my past experience, prices for them are just randomly set by a member of staff - one barman charged me 5p for a pint of orange squash one time and an hour later, i was charged 45p for the same drink in the same bar but from a different person! always found this to be the case, any pub i go to... never over 60p though!!
  • beautifulgorgeous_2
    Options
    Carbonated water is usually free, chilled with ice, much nicer than tap water.
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    hmm, just got charged a quid for a pint of soda and lime - am I getting really stingy in my old age, or is that a bit steep??
  • PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Options
    If you drink fizzy water, ask for soda water. 9 times out of 10 they'll get it from the cola dispenser and it's free.

I always ask for beer, and always get charged. Any suggestions for getting that free??
  • mancitychick
    Options
    I've found it varies from pub to pub. I drink Blackcurrent & Soda water and costs anything from 60p a glass to over a pound. When I worked in a pub 11 years ago we used to charge for the cordial but the soda water was free. This doesn't really seem to be the case anymore.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure