Seat Ibiza Ecomotion, Polo BlueMotion

Options
Am in the market for a new car. Looking for something which is low cost to run in terms of fuel and low tax/insurance, so surely these 2models are the answer....?

Well, has anyone test driven either or own a Polo BM?
I'm interested to find whether or not the more economical green cars are as quick and or reliable as their gas guzzling friends?

Cheers

Comments

• PhilL_3
    PhilL_3 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Not driven either but Fifth Gear had the Polo on the other day; they only acheived around 47 mpg in real world driving. Personally I would avoid the marketing bluff and pay less for an economical 'standard' model. It will take you a long time to recoup the extra money shelled out for these eco models.

How about the Mini One D - might be stretching the budget somewhat but should provide excellent residuals and with BMW's Efficient Dynamics revisions the total cost of ownership will be similar.
  • kingstongold
    kingstongold Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    yeah I'm coming round to the marketing bunff being a bit OTT

mini is gonna be too much- am looking at a budget of about 9k. any ideas?
  • PhilL_3
    Options
    For 9k you wouldn't be looking realistically at the Bluemotion anyway :)

How about a Citroen C1? The Citroen C1 1.4 HDi Rhythm will be among the most frugal new car propositions you will find, and you should be able to pick one up for just over £8k new. What sort of requirements for space/mileage etc will you have?

The Mazda 2 looks pretty funky IMO and they have concentrated on reducing weight with the new car to give decent economy and handling. The 1.4d TS should be within budget.

If you have to do a few more miles then the Vauxhall Corsa might be worth looking at - the 1.3 diesel would be in budget and it's supposed to be very refined for the class.
  • jeannieblue
    jeannieblue Posts: 4,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    VW or japanese - avoid Citroen.........;)
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • ozvaldinho
    ozvaldinho Posts: 446 Forumite
    Options
    I drove a Polo bluemotion the other day for a work assessment. It was surprisingly quick, similar to the 1.2 or 1.4 petrol models of the polo or ibiza or fabia. at a steady 70mph it was returning 72mpg, it has good acceleration and is comfy and quiet.

I averaged 66mpg over the day's drive, a mixture of town, A road and motorway.

The only downside I thought was the material on the seats which looks cheap and will get dirty very quickly.

I will be doing some haggling to see if I can get a good deal from the dealer, list price is around £12,000. I'm going to push for 15% discount.
  • PhilL_3
    Options
    I think you will be hard pressed to get more than 11% off dealer price at the moment, but keep us informed if you do :wink:
  • kingstongold
    kingstongold Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    thanks ozvaldinho, thats very interesting.

Phil going back to your earlier post i do 90% motorway miles and the remaining are either to the motorway or to the gym which aint far.
    Thus, I'm looking for something good when it comes to the extra urban stats but at the same time something which is pretty quick.

The 9k can be moved on as I'm sure I can get a bit of finance to cover whatever the rest would be-should i go for a Blumotion or ecomotion.

I think the seat looks better than the vw pound for pound but 11,625 list price for the 5dr aint cheap
  • MORPH3US
    MORPH3US Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ozvaldinho wrote: »
    I will be doing some haggling to see if I can get a good deal from the dealer, list price is around £12,000. I'm going to push for 15% discount.

I'd be very surprised if you did better than these prices:

Polo 3dr
    BlueMotion 1 Tdi 1.4 5sp
    £10,967

Polo 5dr
    BlueMotion 1 Tdi 1.4 5sp
    £11,509

Polo 3dr
    BlueMotion 2 Tdi 1.4 5sp
    £11,738

Polo 5dr
    BlueMotion 2 Tdi 1.4 5sp