We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

urgent new york passport help asap

2»

Comments

  • PBA
    PBA Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    duchy wrote: »
    Why do people do this ?
    I don't mean the OP but the numb-brain who gave the sister such duff info.
    I used to be a travel agent and it never ceased to amaze me the rubbish people got told-and more so that they believed it (was often the MIL who had never travelled further than Blackpool) :)
    It's the "machine readable", lots of people assume that means the biometric chip when really it's the 2 rows of letters on the photo page.
  • Reggie_Rebel
    Reggie_Rebel Posts: 5,036 Forumite
    But basically it's false logic. They take a fact ('to travel to country X you need 6 months on your passport') and then generalise it ('to travel anywhere you need 6 months on your passport'). They assume that everything is the same everywhere.

    I also used to be a Travel Agent and we used that line to cover our own bums, because of some of the idiots we had in the shop.

    "I'm going to Australia will I need a Visa"
    "Yes"
    "Didn't need one for Spain"
    "Spain's not Australia"
    "Didn't need one for Greece"
    "Nor is Greece"
    "Didn't need for Turkey"
    "Yes you did but you got it on entry"
    "Don't think I'll bother then I don't believe you"

    Two months later

    "I want my money back. They wouldn't let me into Australia because I didn't have a Visa"
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,788 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic

    I also used to be a Travel Agent and we used that line to cover our own bums, because of some of the idiots we had in the shop.

    "I'm going to Australia will I need a Visa"
    "Yes"
    "Didn't need one for Spain"
    "Spain's not Australia"
    "Didn't need one for Greece"
    "Nor is Greece"
    "Didn't need for Turkey"
    "Yes you did but you got it on entry"
    "Don't think I'll bother then I don't believe you"

    Two months later

    "I want my money back. They wouldn't let me into Australia because I didn't have a Visa"


    sadly, I can believe that, but nearly fell off my chair laughing!!!!
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.