Londoners over 60: Remember to renew your Freedom Pass by 31 March!

MSE_Martin
MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
12 March 2008

What's this all about?

The Freedom Pass is a wonderful little scheme allowing free travel throughout the London transport network, subject to some restricted times.

Millions of eligible people (see below) take advantage of this freebie, yet if you forget to renew the travelcard before 31 March each year, it'll expire and you'll have to pay full whack for future journeys, which is pretty pricey if you have to pay with cash.

Who can get a Freedom Pass?

You're entitled to one if you: If you fit the criteria above but haven't got a pass yet, find out how to apply for it on the Freedom Pass website.

How to re-new it

If you have a disabled person's Freedom Pass you must contact your local borough council directly to renew it.

If you have an older person's Freedom Pass (the regular one), unless you live in Barking and Dagenham, Havering, Sutton or Wandsworth (in these cases contact your council), head into a Post Office with your existing pass, a completed application form which can be downloaded and one eligible proof of address.

What if you don't re-new before 31 March?

You'll have pay the full fare for each journey you make until re-applying (not re-newing) for your pass.

Martin

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Hello all

I think it is worth mentioning that most London Boroughs will also provide a Freedom Pass to people with significant mental health problems, as well as those who meet the criteria on the Freedom Pass website.

Basically the mental illness needs to be rather severe in that it means you have perhaps delusions or hallucinations, a major anxiety disorder or you are not permitted to drive due to medication you have to take for your mental illness.

You need to get the form completed by your psychiatrist to confirm why you need the pass and then take it to your local council to be approved.

If you are successful, the disabled pass is not limited to certain times on the transport network as they recognise that disabled people although having a disability may still be working.

As an NB, if you have a minor MH problem like minor depression or the occasional panic attack (not that I am suggesting these aren't significant to you) then you almost certainly will not be eligible.
  • sebastianj
    sebastianj Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    Well, I live in Wimbledon, over 60, have not had a freedom Pass yet, what do I do. . I did walk into a post office in Wandsworth they told me to go to the council, should I go to a post office in Wimbledon? Or where can I download this form from?
    Many thanks for the reminder,
    rgd
    seb
  • LittleVoice
    LittleVoice Posts: 8,974 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sebastianj wrote: »
    Well, I live in Wimbledon, over 60, have not had a freedom Pass yet, what do I do. . I did walk into a post office in Wandsworth they told me to go to the council, should I go to a post office in Wimbledon? Or where can I download this form from?
    Many thanks for the reminder,
    rgd
    seb

Try this web page for starters - http://www.freedompass.org/howtoapply.htm

If you scroll down you will find the link to download the form.
  • amabel
    amabel Posts: 5 Forumite
    Many thanks for reminding us, Martin. I would have forgotten for sure. You don't only save us money but a lot of hassle as well.
  • sebastianj
    sebastianj Posts: 1,039 Forumite
    Many thanks for the link, obviously this will not be possible without Martin, thank you Matin.
    rgd
    sen
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family