We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Websites for cheap flights. Help needed Please

We are planning a trip to Melboune early next year and I just looked at costs of flights with Quantas as I flew with them last time. But I was shocked to find the prices nearly 50% more than I paid last year. I wanted to know what people's experiences are with websites offereing cheaper prices. I don't want to pay for a flight and find I do not have a genuine ticket. I phoned one I found online and he promised a decent price. So am I safe or not?

Comments

  • Sam_Bee
    Sam_Bee Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    Why don't you tell us what you have found, and with whomm

    Also, what are your requirements - i.e. when / what / how many?

    Otherwise we are just guessing?
  • RuthMarianna
    RuthMarianna Posts: 578 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    OK here goes.
    The website I found and contacted by phone was http://www.affordableflights.co.uk/cheapflightsp/.
    I will be traveling with my husband. We want to fly from Heathrow (Manchester is closer but changing at Heathrow was murder last time and I don't want to repeat that experience.) We want to stop over for a day minimum anywhere enroute just to give my husband a break from sitting as he has arthritis but only if this does not make the flight more expensive We want to travel spring 2009 and stay in Oz for about 2 months. We can only afford Economy.
    I have never booked a flight before except directly with an airline such as BA or Quantas and I've heard horror stories about people paying for tickets that never existed.
  • Sam_Bee
    Sam_Bee Posts: 1,393 Forumite
    OK here goes.
    The website I found and contacted by phone was http://www.affordableflights.co.uk/cheapflightsp/.
    I will be traveling with my husband. We want to fly from Heathrow (Manchester is closer but changing at Heathrow was murder last time and I don't want to repeat that experience.) We want to stop over for a day minimum anywhere enroute just to give my husband a break from sitting as he has arthritis but only if this does not make the flight more expensive We want to travel spring 2009 and stay in Oz for about 2 months. We can only afford Economy.
    I have never booked a flight before except directly with an airline such as BA or Quantas and I've heard horror stories about people paying for tickets that never existed.

    With some research you'll be fine, just pose any questions here, particularly if you are worried about a company and whether it will rip you off

    However, you cannot book an airline ticket more than 300-330 days in advance of travel (dependent on airline) so that is why you are getting ridiculously high prices. Wait until 11 months before, and come back again, and we'll all help you get the best prices.
  • Thanks for the advise. I am only looking at prices this far ahead to give me an idea of our target budget as we want to come back with little or no debt. I don't want to kid myself the £1600 will do for our flights (I paid £666 for mine last year) and then get a shock later to find that it is over £2,000).
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.