Cat in heat - My poor eardrums

Options
I had booked my cat in to get neatuered on Friday, she's 6months. Well wouldn't you know my luck, she went in heat today :o MY EAAARS.

I phoned the vet, and the woman on the phone said they couldn't do it so to phone back up in....3months to get her done. I said "What, why 3months" "Oh you have to wait for all her hormones to dissapear"

Now sorry If I seem thick, but it sounds like she dosent know what she's talking about because cats can go in season again within weeks?

Is there anything at all I can do to calm her down? I've given her treats, played with her for hours, and mostly she dosen't scream, just walks about making odd whingy noises, also how long does it last, and DO I need to wait 3MONTHS!

Win £2008 in 2008 no #49 £601.91/£2008
Latest win - Cashmere scarf :j

Murphys no more pies club member

Comments

• pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It's considered a lot more risky to spay a female in season because the womb, etc is full of blood. Once the hormones die down the organs shrink back down again and the blood supply is minimal. It reduces the chances of complications.

It's difficult with cats though, because as you say, if they don't mate, they may well come back into season again very quickly.

With this being her first season, the vet will probably want to wait at least a couple of weeks to give her a chance to settle down before neutering. If she does come back into season very quickly, they will probably reconsider and be willing to spay more quickly after the 2nd season. 3 months seems a bit hopeful though, she is bound to have come back into season again by then (and will continue to do so till early Autumn).

In the meantime there isn't a lot you can do to calm her down. Her season will last roughly 3 weeks altogether, and she will act like this for a week to 10 days.

Why not phone back and ask to speak to a vet for advice (rather than just the receptionist) and see what they suggest?
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    Just make sure she doesn't get out and you watch all the toms come sniffing :D
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 359 Forumite
    Options
    I have heard if you insert a cotton bud into her "bits" and wiggle it about for a few seconds, she will think she has been mated and stop calling....

Never plucked up the courage to try it on my devon rex before she got spayed though, even though the noise drove me crazy (a whole week at a time it went on for)

Sarah
  • Karensteps
    Karensteps Posts: 834 Forumite
    Options
    Oh god, thats so funny because I found a article online about that. It sounds like it's in the realm of beastiality a smidge...I mean technically you are w****** off a cat?

She's an indoor cat anyways, but today she hasn't been so bad and If I shout her name she comes running with her butt in the air, so it keeps her quiet for a while.
    Win £2008 in 2008 no #49 £601.91/£2008
    Latest win - Cashmere scarf :j

Murphys no more pies club member
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Please please don't put *anything* into her. The risk of infection is too great. Pyometra is a serious concern in cats anyway, without increasing the risk by putting foreign bodies inside her.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • bexnste
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I've got 3 little kittens - all female - and one of them is on heat already!!! She's only 4 months old!

I'm praying that the others down start yet because I might have to move out! Vets have told me I can't get them done till they're 6 months old.

I've also got an adult male cat (who has thankfully been done ) & poor lad :mad: gets pestered by these horny kittens all the time! :smileyhea

If you find a way to help her then please let me know, you feel so sorry for them don't you?

Good luck
  • snowman2_2
    snowman2_2 Posts: 753 Forumite
    Options
    Whoever you spoke to got confused between cats and dogs. A dog would need to wait 3 months for the uterus to shrink down in size but a cat could be done next week (the "heat" only lasts about 5 days). Book her in for same day next week and you should be fine. It is also possible to spay a cat safely on heat, we don't always know when they come in and some are inevitably on heat when we operate.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure