I want the boiler pipes hidden - who do I call?

Options
Hi guys,
I have a combi boiler on the wall of my kitchen, fairly standard stuff. All the pipes coming out of the bottom of the boiler run down the outside of the wall for quite a way, before going into the wall nearer the floor. This messy arrangement is covered up by a makeshift box made of MDF painted white, and looks horrible. My downstairs neighbour doesn't have this, all the pipes seem to go out of the wall as soon as they leave the boiler, leaving room for kitchen units underneath, which we haven't.

So my question is - who would I call to move these pipes to hide them - a boiler engineer or a builder, or a mixture of both? And is it a big job? Haven't got a clue myself so would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Quit smoking 12th July 07 :j

Comments

• foxwales
    foxwales Posts: 590 Forumite
    Options
    A Corgi registered Gas Engineer would be a good start. But your right; you would need a builder too unless you can find a gas engineer that can do the whole shabang.

Speak to a gas engineer first and see what they say. Some of them are multi-talented.
  • ds1980
    ds1980 Posts: 1,213 Forumite
    Options
    Moving them as they are unsightly will be costly!

Get some plywood and make some boxing. All you need are a few 2 by 4 batons tp fix to annd a spirit level. You can then paint or cover with tiles or whatever is best

not a hard job. I f you don't fancy it then a chippy should be able to do it pretty cheap!
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    Options
    ds1980 wrote: »
    Moving them as they are unsightly will be costly!

Get some plywood and make some boxing. All you need are a few 2 by 4 batons tp fix to annd a spirit level. You can then paint or cover with tiles or whatever is best

not a hard job. I f you don't fancy it then a chippy should be able to do it pretty cheap!

That is what the OP already has, and doesn't like.;)
  • ukwoody
    ukwoody Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    Inactive wrote: »
    That is what the OP already has, and doesn't like.;)

Yes, but there's boxing in and boxing in!:rolleyes:
    It would certainly be a lot cheaper to have tidy boxing in done then getting a plumber in to move the pipes - if he can move them. It's not always possible to move them so they are less obtrusive.

woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
  • Canucklehead
    Canucklehead Posts: 6,254 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Please remember that one day a Corgi might want to get to the underside of the boiler to restore your heating and hot water on a cold winters day . He/she will either rip the box off or walk away and let you do it.
    Moving the pipes is not the answer.
    Make it removable!

Corgi Guy.
    Ask to see CIPHE (Chartered Institute of Plumbing & Heating Engineering)
  • ukwoody
    ukwoody Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    very valid point Canuckle

woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income