train tickets

Options
if i buy a train ticket that says 9:35 on it but dont get the train til an hour later is mytixket still valid?

im trying toplan ajurney for me and myfriend.i have a railcard she doesnt. qjump wont let us get on the same train without paying £40 more lol

Comments

• OohSoHolly
    OohSoHolly Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    Oooo. I was just about to start a thread about this myself. Was planning on getting them from here http://www.mobitix.thetrainline.com/VT/advancepurchase.aspx
    And was wondering the same. If i get an ealier or later train, can i still use them.
  • tentickles666
    Options
    im sure ive missed trains before and just got on the next one... but looking at these journeys they are different rotes and imassuming operators. grrrr. why are there different trains available for railcard holders? weird. the return leg was easy to book!
  • OohSoHolly
    OohSoHolly Posts: 358 Forumite
    Options
    Hmm just found this in the terms and conditions for http://www.mobitix.thetrainline.com/...epurchase.aspx
    "Your journey must be on the date and time specified on the ticket."
    And also thought this was pretty bad
    "Acceptance of this ticket is at the discretion of the train manager or ticket inspector."
  • tentickles666
    Options
    might not risk it then!
    grrrr
    i hate not getting the bargain i could potentially get grrrrr
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,918 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    why are there different trains available for railcard holders? weird.
    With many railcards you cannot buy a ticket for travel before (typically) 9:30am.
    See railcard conditions here.
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    It depends on the type of ticket - an open ticket is valid on any train (or any off-peak train if it's an off peak open ticket). This is regardless of whether you have a reservation or not.

However the tickets you mention (mobitix) are train specific - they are ONLY valid on the train booked for the exact journey booked.
  • SweetPea73
    SweetPea73 Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    Hello

I work as a ticket person,if your ticket is an advanced purchased then you must be on the train shown on the reservation, sometimes you one big ticket with all the details and sometimes you get the ticket and the reservation separately, if you lost the reservation the ticket will not be valid.

like dzug said Open tickets are valid on nay train but are much more expensive.

By all means buy cheaper but you are restricted ......and although your meetings go on longer or the traffic was bad getting to the station, it doesnt matter you will still get charged.

I have had people board with tickets for a train journey 6 hours later and OR 6 hours before and they use an ill child an an excuse.

always check first class as they have very cheap tickets as well , if you know the train time you wish to travel have a look a 1st class before you book, I know of customers travel from birmingham to Newcastle for about £25 in 1st and £15 in standard

sweetpea
    I have started entering competitions, lets see If I can win
    :rotfl:
  • shootme
    shootme Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    Hi. We (2 adults) are travelling from Leeds to Wales to pick up 2 children and bring them back the same day. If we have a family railcard, can we just book return tickets for all 4 of us and get the discount?

If not, any idea what the best way of doing it would be? To get 2 of us there at full price and then the 4 of us back on the discount works out £20 more.

Thanks
  • dzug
    dzug Posts: 2,260 Forumite
    Options
    shootme wrote: »
    Hi. We (2 adults) are travelling from Leeds to Wales to pick up 2 children and bring them back the same day. If we have a family railcard, can we just book return tickets for all 4 of us and get the discount?

If not, any idea what the best way of doing it would be? To get 2 of us there at full price and then the 4 of us back on the discount works out £20 more.

Thanks

No - at least one child must actually travel the complete journey.

Look at cheap singles each way - if available almost certainly cheaper than returns.
  • caroline1973lefty
    Options
    I found no problem with getting a train an hour later than the one my ticket was valid for when i told the guard that my connecting train was late, which was why i'd missed the earlier train. this was actually true... but i don't think they would bother checking, so long as you were nice to them!:Aafter all its not exactly an unusual occurence for connecting trains to be late....!;)

also when booking remember raileasy.co.uk i don't know if they are new but i got tickets about 25% cheaper than the cheapest on trainline.com.
    "The Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need, but not every man's greed" - Ghandi
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure