1 grape isn't going to do damage.........is it?

Options
My youngest has just had a plate of red grapes and dropped one right in front of the dog who swiftly pounced on it and swallowed it whole.

I'm paranoid about grapes after reading about how toxic they are.

How worried do I need to be about one? I know the signs to watch out for......but eating one grape isn't a vet job now is it?

He's 17kg/18kg btw...in case that makes any difference.

(How come I successfully raised children from babies without a second thought but this pup has me worried sick over everything the stupid beast does? :o )

Comments

• WeirdoMagnet
    WeirdoMagnet Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think you'll be fine.

There's lots of research about grape/raisin toxicity - hang on I'll see if I can find it.
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • WeirdoMagnet
    WeirdoMagnet Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Options
    Here we go, the thinking is that about 11 to 30 grams of grapes consumed per kilogram of dog will result in some signs of poisoning, and about 32 grams will result in kidney damage, so by my reckoning, and having weighed a grape to check, at 17kg, your dog would have to eat over 30 to cause any damage.
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • zebidee1
    zebidee1 Posts: 991 Forumite
    Options
    *sighs of relief* :D

Thanks Georgina, my gut feeling was that it was ok butI still needed advice/reassurance. :o

Thanks very much for taking the time.
  • G-G_4
    G-G_4 Posts: 3,090 Forumite
    Options
    I used to feed my dog grapes ! (I had no idea until about 2 weeks ago that it was toxic!) :(

He only used to have a couple every month or two, because he liked to chase them when I rolled them on the floor.. :)

I know better now though...
    :D BSC Member 155 :cool:
  • foreign_correspondent
    Options
    hmm, I often used to share a bunch of grapes with my dog when I was a kid, having no idea at all that they were toxic!! Althoug of course I would never feed my dog grapes now that I know, my old dog was fine, so obviously wasnt eating enough to do any serious harm - she was a biggish collie/ fox terrier x so and would have weighed similar or even a bit less than your dog I guess!
  • shelley_crow
    shelley_crow Posts: 1,644 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for this, i had no idea. My DS (nearly 3) likes to share his raisins with our staffy. Will have to put a stop to this x
  • kr15snw
    kr15snw Posts: 2,264 Forumite
    Options
    Crikey never knew this!

Is it just dogs? Ive fed many pets grapes, thinking they were perfectly safe!
    Green and White Barmy Army!
  • affordmylife
    affordmylife Posts: 1,224 Forumite
    Options
    my dog does the roll on the floor think too once or twice a month. he loves it.

what a shame - we too will have to find a new game xxx
  • smileypigface
    Options
    You could always try cherry tomatoes - our dog loves them - but he has managed to perfect the art of rolling them around his mouth before biting into them and squirting the pips across the kitchen :D
  • Kimberley
    Kimberley Posts: 14,871 Forumite
    Options
    Cherry Toms are toxic also, partically in cats.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure