maternity benefit

please can somone give some advice a woman next door is 25 years old living with family on incapacity benefit and care allowence having a baby in may as told me she cannot have maternity grant and her income is not very high she been told she must be on income support to get this

Comments

• tigtag02
    tigtag02 Posts: 6,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    littlenuts wrote: »
    please can somone give some advice a woman next door is 25 years old living with family on incapacity benefit and care allowence having a baby in may as told me she cannot have maternity grant and her income is not very high she been told she must be on income support to get this

This is the criteria:

Who is eligible?

You can get a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner or civil partner receive any of the following:
    • Income Support
    • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Pension Credit
    • Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
    • Working Tax Credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award

and if one of the following applies to you:
    • you or your partner or civil partner are pregnant or have given birth within the last three months
    • you or your partner or civil partner have adopted a child, or in certain circumstances have been granted a residence order for a child, within the last three months and the child is less than one year old
    • you and your husband or wife have been granted a parental order for a surrogate birth within the last three months
    • you're getting benefit for a dependant under the age of 20 who is pregnant or has given birth within the last three months
    :heartpuls baby no3 due 16th November :heartpuls
    TEAM YELLOW
    DFD 16/6/10
    "Shut your gob! Or I'll come round your houses and stamp on all your toys" The ONE, the ONLY, the LEGENDARY Gene Hunt :heart2:
  • Thank you for your reply she should be able to claim after her beby is born i take it then iwill pass this on to her many thanks
  • please can you let me know how much maternity grant will she have many thanks
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    It's just a flat rate of £500 regardless of your income and circumstances.

I hope she gets it. It sounds like she could do with the help.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • RDB
    RDB Posts: 872 Forumite
    tigtag02 wrote: »
    This is the criteria:

Who is eligible?

You can get a Sure Start Maternity Grant if you or your partner or civil partner receive any of the following:
    • Income Support
    • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • Pension Credit
    • Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element
    • Working Tax Credit where a disability or severe disability element is included in the award
    and if one of the following applies to you:
    • you or your partner or civil partner are pregnant or have given birth within the last three months
    • you or your partner or civil partner have adopted a child, or in certain circumstances have been granted a residence order for a child, within the last three months and the child is less than one year old
    • you and your husband or wife have been granted a parental order for a surrogate birth within the last three months
    • you're getting benefit for a dependant under the age of 20 who is pregnant or has given birth within the last three months

Can anyone explain this bit please

`Child Tax Credit at a rate higher than the family element`

We will be getting CTC but dont know if its higher than family element?
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    The basic rate is around £10.50 a week, or about £550 a year.

If you are getting any more than this, you are are classed as getting higher than the family element.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • DaisyFlower
    DaisyFlower Posts: 2,677 Forumite
    The baby element of tax credits makes the basic amount around £93 a month for the first year so you need to be getting over that amount to qualify.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure