Is The New BT 12 Month Option 2 Rolling Contract Fair.

Options
It does not seem fair and reasonable to me that its a rolling contract, which means that people could be forced to carry on with it when they dont want to,and have to pay penalties to cancel it.

Surely in this day and age a customer should be allowed to move freely to another supplier when their is no cost involved.

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You don't have to accept it - there are other companies with different conditions (and fees). It is your decision whether or not you enter into this agreement.
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    It does not seem fair and reasonable to me that its a rolling contract, which means that people could be forced to carry on with it when they dont want to,and have to pay penalties to cancel it.

Surely in this day and age a customer should be allowed to move freely to another supplier when their is no cost involved.
    Agreeing to the 'rolling contract' merely gets the £3.45 (£2.70) a month fee waived. You can opt for BT Together Option 2 without agreeing - but you have to pay the monthly fee then.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • ACDeag
    ACDeag Posts: 742 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    Agreeing to the 'rolling contract' merely gets the £3.45 (£2.70) a month fee waived. You can opt for BT Together Option 2 without agreeing - but you have to pay the monthly fee then.

The sting in the tail is that cancelling the contract early costs £14.45 per month of the remaining contract period.
  • Slayerx
    Slayerx Posts: 1,283 Forumite
    Options
    Thats ridiculous i don't know how they can get away with charging you that so its win win for BT as usual.
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 065
  • ACDeag
    ACDeag Posts: 742 Forumite
    Options
    Slayerx wrote: »
    Thats ridiculous i don't know how they can get away with charging you that so its win win for BT as usual.

The cost of the actual termination charge seems to be only displayed on their price list.
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    The sting in the tail is that cancelling the contract early costs £14.45 per month of the remaining contract period.

Where did that figure come from?

Do you have a link to the source.

If option 2 costs £3.45 a month then I would have thought breaking contract would be no more than £3.45 a month.
  • Heinz
    Options
    BritBrat wrote: »
    Where did that figure come from?

If option 2 costs £3.45 a month then I would have thought breaking contract would be no more than £3.45 a month.
    Of course. That £14.45 figure includes the £11 line rental (which you'd have to pay whatever option you were on).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    Options
    See: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=769785

Ofcom take the view.

"Providers must make the length of contracts clear, as well as the costs involved if a consumer chooses to break a deal.

Subsequent contract periods should not be imposed unless there is a clear benefit to the consumer and cost to the provider.

A consumer who ends a contract early should never have to pay more than the payments left under the contract period - in fact they should often pay less than this, to reflect costs providers save because the contract ends early and their ability to recoup sums by selling services to other consumers."
  • utilitybroker
    Options
    Heinz wrote: »
    Of course. That £14.45 figure includes the £11 line rental (which you'd have to pay whatever option you were on).

So the up to £70 Line cancellation fee doesnt apply if you take this contract.You have to pay the full remainder of the line rental plus any call package charges.

Or have i got wrong end of stick.:confused:
  • Heinz
    Options
    So the up to £70 Line cancellation fee doesnt apply if you take this contract.You have to pay the full remainder of the line rental plus any call package charges.

Or have i got wrong end of stick.:confused:
    It's not clear to me yet but I reckon BT is going to treat line rental and call plan contracts separately.

I reckon the 'up to £70' charge will continue to apply to people breaching the 12 month line rental contract but the call plan contract appears to be different. My reading of it is that, if you agree to the rolling contract for Option 2 to get the £2.70 monthly fee waived, you'd have to pay the remaining monthly fees if you wanted to change plans part-way through the 12 month period. So, if you wanted to change after 6 months, you'd have to pay 6 x £2.70 as a penalty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure