Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

1899 closed my account!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
11 replies 979 views
sousou_2sousou_2 Forumite
11 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Hi, I have been a loyal subscriber of 1899 for about a year and now they have closed my account. When I contacted them they sent a short email that my account was closed due to FRAUD and that I can`t use their service with this number (my home number). They did not reply when I enquired further. What to do? I am also worried about my personal details, they may be used by someone else... at least they could tell me what was wrong. I am very disappointed and worried, too. It is impossible to contact them via telephone as fas as I know. The strange thing is that I tried to sign up to 18185 and got the error message that I can`t use the service with that number... I guess they are connected to 1899...or?

Anyone can help?

Who can I complain to about 1899?

Thank you, I would really appreciate if someone could help.
Sousou

Replies

• Yes they are connected.

Not sure what you can do, maybe someone else will have some idea and be along soon.
  • farfar Forumite
    338 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Who is your landline provider? This may be why they've said this - for instance you can't use the services over a VoIP line.
  • Thanks, my landline provider is BT and as I said I have been using 1899 for about a year when one day they just closed my account due to `fraud`....

Anyone can help?
  • d123d123 Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    sousou wrote: »
    Thanks, my landline provider is BT and as I said I have been using 1899 for about a year when one day they just closed my account due to `fraud`....

Anyone can help?

Why not write to them and do a subject access request under the DPA? It should tell you why if the company don't want to.
    ====
  • I guess you could ask them if they have reported the fraud to the police and maybe ask for a crime system number if they will give it you.

I only say that because what if there was fraud could this come back and bite you later?

Better to find out now and if they don't reply report it to the police yourself.
  • sousou_2sousou_2 Forumite
    11 Posts
    Hi Dave, your reply sounds useful but ca you please explain how to do a "subject access request under the DPA?" and what it means. Thank you very much.
  • sousou_2sousou_2 Forumite
    11 Posts
    Hi `BritBrat`, that`s a good idea,too. Yes,this is the most I`m worried about...uhhh that`s sooooo unfair.....
  • d123d123 Forumite
    8.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    sousou wrote: »
    Hi Dave, your reply sounds useful but ca you please explain how to do a "subject access request under the DPA?" and what it means. Thank you very much.

Easiest way to explain it would be for you to do a google.co.uk search for "subject access request" and read a few. But simply put, you write to the company and advise them that in terms of the Data Protection Act you require a copy of all data held by the company concerning you. They then have 40 days to supply it. They are allowed to charge an admin fee (normally around GBP10).
    ====
  • sousou wrote: »

This is what Dave is on about.

DPA: Data Protection Act 1998

It may cost you £10 but may be worth it.

EDIT:

Oh we cross posted
  • You might not get any joy with a subject access request. I used to work for a bank and we got a lot of subject access requests. However there are certain exclusions when the information doesn't have to be provided and one of these is when there are fraudulent transactions. This is to avoid fraudsters taking advantage of the system.

The company might choose to use this exclusion to avoid giving you the information you require.

There is also a fee for providing the information - usually about £10
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals