Calling all hair stylists/barbers please!

Hello everyone,

Many thanks for reading my post.

My husband has decided to open a barbers shop (something he has wanted to do for some time), and we have rented a really large shop on a main road in a good part of town, which is surrounded by other shops and residential properties. It needs a bit of work (which we are currently doing – both day and night!) and it should be ready within the next month or so.

However, it is way too large for just him on his own, so we were thinking of “renting” out styling stations to other hairdressers who would work on a self-employed basis. We would supply all products, reception staff, gowns, equipment, refreshments, a booking system, business cards etc… all they would need is their own skill, time and any equipment which is personal to them (scissors, dryer, straightners etc).

They would have to commit to a minimum number of hours per week, and every month decide on their “timetable”, so that forward bookings could be made. Other than that they would be able to work as many hours a day as they like per day.

To provide this service, we were thinking of paying the hair stylists, 30% of any revenue they make, increasing to 40% for anything they make over £1000 per week.

Do you think this is fair and is there anything that you would suggest, or anything we should be aware of ? Any comments, appreciated!

Many thanks all!

Comments

• fc123
    fc123 Posts: 6,573 Forumite
    Hi I don't run a hairdressers, but the ones I know locally charge a rental for a 'chair' (includes reception costs, products used etc)which is a set ammount. The hairdresser then builds up a loyal clientele as the more they do, the more they earn.

The problem with a percentage (esp one that increases over a certain ammount) is that some may encourage their regular clients to have a cut with them at home instead.

The advantage of a rental (like a concession charge) is that you know exactly what will come in each week towards your fixed costs.
    Whilst it may seem more profitable to take a commission, esp if a stylist is popular, it would be simpler to start off with a 'chair rental' until you have an idea of how busy you will be plus what your T/O will settle down at.

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport