Polytunnel repairs

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
7 replies 4.3K views
SomersetSomerset Forumite
3.6K Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
The polytunnel is about 7 years old and probably needs replacing. Where the plastic is around the metal door frame it has seperated so is flapping a bit. There are probably a couple of smaller bits that are the same. How can I repair or 'tape' it back together ? What product should I use and what type of outlet from ? I understand this is temporary fix and long-term it'll need to be replaced but right now I just need to buy some time and stop it getting worse. Any suggestions appreciated.

Replies

• MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The repair tape will extend the life of your cover if it's just small bits that are tearing. It's a bit cold to recover at this time of year - warmer weather is better.

Remember that the older the plastic get, the less light it lets through and there will be a reduction in the growth of crops so it's best to replace it on a regular basis.
  • SomersetSomerset Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mojisola wrote: »
    so it's best to replace it on a regular basis.

I'm a townie who's moved to the country. Is the replacing of the plastic something that people do themselves or is it usual to get a company in to do it? If the latter, what sort of cost is normal ? It's about 20 foot long.
  • culpepperculpepper Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ive stuck my pvc greenhouse cover back a few times with repair tape from maplins .It is like a thick clear sticky tape.The rolls arent huge but adequate for running repairs and water proof.
    I just bought a roll of the same stuff from wilkinsons to mend the plastic window in our shed too.
    Its was 99p a roll found by the gaffer tape
  • DavesnaveDavesnave Forumite
    34.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The polythene repair tape specifically made for polytunnels (UV stabilized) works very well. I used some about 4 years ago & it's stll going strong.

Normally, people replace their own covers on polytunnels, preferably with help from a couple of other reasonably fit people on a warm, calm day. The hoops need re-covering first with anti hot spot tape, but you will find all this out if you look at a few polytunnel manufacturers' web sites. Northern Polytunnels, First Tunnels and Ferryman Polytunnels are a few to start with. First Tunnels have loads of info for you to download + FAQs.
    People who don't stand for something will fall for anything.
  • MojisolaMojisola Forumite
    34.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Davesnave's information.

You need to wait for a warmish day so that the plastic can be stetched tightly across the hoops. The tighter it is, the less rubbing there is against the hoops and so it lasts longer.
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apart from the fact you are not allowed to use this site for advertising, tunnel repair tape is suitable to get an extra year or two out of a tunnel. This is assuming a normal plastic sheet, specially made for tunnels.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals