Bargain white goods....?

Options
I'd be extremely surprised if all the sassy shoppers on this site haven't already figured this one out, but my money saving experience was such a joy I thought I'd share it with you.

I have just bought a new fridge - end of line model, last one in the shop, display item, in very good nick, so it had been reduced from £399 to £320. The salesman discounted it a further £70 on the assumption that I took their 5-year extended warranty for an additional £114. A quick scan of the T & Cs on this and I signed on the dotted line!

You see the T&Cs on the warranty allow you to cancel the policy within a certain amount of time (45 days in my case). The purchase price of the item, although discounted, is not legally tied to the purchase of the warranty, so there's no way they can claim back their discount.

In summary
1. Use the purchase of the extended warranty as a strong bargaining tool
2. Check the T & Cs!
3. Cancel the warranty

This saved me a billy bargain £150 on a £400 fridge!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• SnargleFlip
    SnargleFlip Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    PS This could work for you only if you're in the silent 99% majority who think extended warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on...
  • Lungman
    Lungman Posts: 70 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the tip snargleflip - in the process at looking at a couple of new white goods so the advice wll come in very handy (always looking for a bargain!!!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure