Remote keys rip off! How do they get away with it??

Options
I just got quoted 135 quid (!!) to get a copy of my pug key! Now, the only place that does it is Peugeot, so they can charge what they like! Wonder what watchdog would think? How can a key - which MAXIMUM costs £30 to manufacture - get charged so much??

Why is there no regulation over this?
Being bored is so boring Im bored of it... :rotfl:

Comments

• col70
    col70 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Your key has a transponder chip inside it,which when coded to your vehicle only will start your vehicle.

So how about a normal key that will be cheaper than an expensive remote key
  • santana-mx3
    santana-mx3 Posts: 415 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could always try phoning round mobile auto locksmiths. We had one call round and cut a key for a Mondeo and then program the system for the transponder to work with the imobiliser. They might do Peugeots too.

He actually provided a master key for programming and a spare programmed key (in addition to the one we already had). I don't know how much they charge though as the garage we bought the car from paid (we had insisted on having 2 keys with the car) but it's worth finding out.

Either they will be cheaper since they are not part of the main dealerships or they will be more expensive for the added "convenience" of someone coming out to your home or office. Other mobile services have turned out cheaper for us in the past so you never know.

The downside: someone with the ability to cut and program keys to your car, knows where to find your car in future! So, you have to know you can trust them!
  • Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had to buy a second key from Daewoo and wasn't impressed with £35. I was told afterwards that the local key cutters can copy these keys, including the code, for £10. You just need a coded key to copy. They also did remotes but I don't know the cost. Ask around it might be worth it.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
  • Hunnymonster
    Hunnymonster Posts: 751 Forumite
    Options
    Nice to know all these manufacturers where the security measures built-in to the car can be circumvented by after market accessories - mind you in the old days a lolly stick would open most Ford locks.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • santana-mx3
    santana-mx3 Posts: 415 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mind you in the old days a lolly stick would open most Ford locks.

I used to use that trick as a child to unlock my Mum's VW Beetle. I've heard of Ford security keys/locks being interchangeable on worn out locks/keys and have seen this work once. Also, whenever any manufacturer introiduces new security keys, it's not long before the aftermarket keycutters have the blanks and the tools to duplicate them. The coded keys were also just a temporary problem for them.
  • oscardog
    oscardog Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    I had this problem when I went to get a duplicate key cut for my VW Polo.

No high street key-cutter could do one (well done VW!!) as it was a laser cut key that only VW could produce.

The price.............................£90!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks but no thanks.
  • BFG_2
    BFG_2 Posts: 2,022 Forumite
    Options
    I had a bloke come out and he did me 3 keys for a Mondeo (not remotes but). He also was able to 'cancel' the other keys that were 'logged' to the car (stops the previous owner keeping a key and then stealing your car).

Charge was a very reasonable £50.
  • rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Options
    I had a similar problem last year when my daughter foolishly locked mine in the car, (don't ask how, i've no idea :confused:) I called vauxhall to be told they couldn't even give me a price over the phone I'd need to come down to them, I explained the situation, no key, can't drive car doh.... :rolleyes: but they still wouldn't give me any indication of price. In the end I called a local locksmith who did me one for a fiver a so just to get the car open to retrieve keys, they said I'd have been looking at £100+ for a chipped one from vauxhall :eek: :eek: thats bloody scandalous in my book :(
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• Babbler
    Babbler Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds like a mare! :(

I managed to get a plip off e-bay for 12 quid, so all I need now is the key bit and the programming. Hopefully that will reduce the price a lot. Should get £30 off postoffice as well for losing my keys in the post (but thats a completely different story...). However, as well as my keys they seem to have lost all records of my claim! Typical...
    Being bored is so boring Im bored of it... :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport