Sneaky Barclaycard

Options
I got a new Barclaycard in June 2007 with 0% interest until May 2008 but forgot to set up a direct debit to pay the minimum amount. I paid the minimum amount the following month on time and was told by Barclaycard that 'as a gesture of good will' they'd waiver the £12 charge. What they didn't tell me was that I lost the 0% promotional rate! I have since been charged a total of £494.35 in interest. In their terms and conditions it says I 'may' lose this rate if I miss a payment. I've also got a Sainsburys card with 0% until and would obviously have used that one for the last few months.
I wasn't advised verbally or in writing that I'd lost the 0% rate and when I rang them last month to find out when my promotional rate ran out I was told - May 2008!
I'm trying to get this money back.
Could anyone advise me on how to do this or am I 'stuffed'?

Roddy K

Comments

• adrian2000
    Options
    I would get straight on the phone to Barclaycard and say that you were told that as a gesture of goodwill the charges were refunded and the 0% rate should have continued. Get on the phone now and get them to refund the charges.

Adrian
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This losing of the promotional rate problem was featured on Martin's show either last week or the week before. It is a common way of ending the rate legitimately. I don't recall whether Martin saw any way out of it but maybe you could take a look at the relevant thread about the show and see if it has been discussed.

AS it stands though the conditions are usually quite clear, if not in the largest print! so you would probably not have been told as there was no need to tell you as it was in your user agreement.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure