Moving House- Telephone problem

macgyver
macgyver Posts: 1,285 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
Hi there,

I am presently with BT and using NTL freedom for my calls (It gives me £15 free calls) and intermet. I am moving next week and the next house in which I am going used to have a BT line but the land lady told me that the previous tenANT swiched to NTL and the NTL people cut the BT connection (Are they supposed to do so???)

So my problem is that BT dont have an active line over there and the socket I am told is also destroyed... which means that I will have to pay 70£ for it if I want a BT line.... which I do.
Cant BT do it for free for me?

If not what ae the options on NTL line? Can I have the same NTL freedom package on an NTL phone line? NTL broadband is not available in that area ... if I was thinking of 3 for 30 introductory offer.

Any suggestions??

many thanks for looking in
I wanted to thankyou a million times but its a shame that I can press the button just once :T

Comments

• Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    macgyver wrote:
    Hi there,

I am presently with BT and using NTL freedom for my calls (It gives me £15 free calls) and intermet. I am moving next week and the next house in which I am going used to have a BT line but the land lady told me that the previous tenANT swiched to NTL and the NTL people cut the BT connection (Are they supposed to do so???)

So my problem is that BT dont have an active line over there and the socket I am told is also destroyed... which means that I will have to pay 70£ for it if I want a BT line.... which I do.
    Cant BT do it for free for me?

If not what ae the options on NTL line? Can I have the same NTL freedom package on an NTL phone line? NTL broadband is not available in that area ... if I was thinking of 3 for 30 introductory offer.

Any suggestions??

many thanks for looking in

First of all have you actually checked with BT that it will cost you £70?
    If the line/number was originally a BT one it should be that they will welcome you back and do it for free.

Next what exactly is the NTL Freedom that gives you £15 *free* calls, how much do the *free* calls actually cost you and/or will you be able to move or get out of that contract by moving?
  • bbb_uk
    bbb_uk Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    I think the way it works is that BT would normally only do a straight-forward reconnection but if NTL have cut the wires then I believe they are not allowed to do that (and vice versa) and the chances are BT will not charge you for it but claim the cost from NTL for cutting something that doesn't belong to them.

We were on Telewest and moved to BT and when BT came out to reconnect us again it was discovered that Telewest must have cut BT's wires coming into the house. He was here for a few hours trying to sort it out and I asked if we would be charged for this as it wasn't a normal/straight-forward reconnection and the engineer informed me that BT will claim the money from Telewest for destroying their (BT's) property and we wouldn't get charged.

I can't say if Telewest did ever get the bill for the reconnection but I know that we weren't charged.

It may be best to confirm this with BT explaining that NTL appear to have cut the line when they installed their telephone service and they did this without your knowledge and would they still reconnect for free but claim the money back from NTL for destroying their property.
  • macgyver
    First of all have you actually checked with BT that it will cost you £70?
    If the line/number was originally a BT one it should be that they will welcome you back and do it for free.

Next what exactly is the NTL Freedom that gives you £15 *free* calls, how much do the *free* calls actually cost you and/or will you be able to move or get out of that contract by moving?

I had spoken to BT and they said they will send an engineer to find out about the line status. If the line is damaged ten I might have to pay £74.99 for the connection, otherwise they would do it for free, But the problem is the earliest appointment I could get for the engineer was 22nd August that s 3 weeks after I shift.
    Now NTL freedom is the deal wherein I pay 15£ to NTL for providind dialup internet connection and routing my calls through NTL on a BT line and I get £15 of call credit per month. I have spoken to NTL freedom also and they are happy to transfer the same package on the new address if there is a BT line.

Now I am planning to call up NTL and find out what an they offer me as the last active phone over there was with NTL and are they willing to give me any free credit like NTL freedom
    PS- NTL broadband is not available in my area accordind to their site.

Any more suggestions
    Thanks
    I wanted to thankyou a million times but its a shame that I can press the button just once :T
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Have a read of today's success story with NTL here and in there you will find the other thread where users have negociated a better deal with NTL.

Good luck ;)
  • macgyver
    Have a read of today's success story with NTL here and in there you will find the other thread where users have negociated a better deal with NTL.

Good luck ;)

Thanks. Yes I have read that thread and I am feeling more confident that I can get something sorted out. Its too late today but I will give NTL a call tomorrow and let you know hat they say.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure