Tiscali Talk (Line Rental + Calls)

New Post Advanced Search

Tiscali Talk (Line Rental + Calls)

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
4 replies 1.9K views
Bamber19Bamber19 Forumite
2.3K posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
Any advice here? At the end of January I changed from BT to Tiscali Talk. BT service was to end and be taken over by Tiscali on the 12th of February. Nothing happened. I phoned up and was told to wait 3 days and it would be sorted. 3 days came and went, called again and told 5 days. Finally i called yesterday and was told it will be sorted within 2 hours. Again, no change so I call today and i'm told "You need to contact BT to activate the line." I feel like every single person I've talked to has had a different idea of what's going on. Uswitch suggests if you already have/had a BT line then activation is free but I'm not so sure on this. Also if this was going to be an issue shouldn't Tiscali have told me this beforehand or activated the BT line themselves... or at least told me this the first time i phoned up on the 12th?
Bought, not Brought

Replies

• Do you have any service right now? If so only Tiscali can do the swap to them.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 2
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What do you mean, "nothing happened"?

How will you know when "something happens"?

If you had (have) a BT line, you had (have) a dial tone and can make and receive calls. The same is the case if you have a Tiscali line.

You can check if BT is still your provider by using BT's Charge Advice service:

Lift handset and dial *411# and listen for message. Replace handset.

Make a UK 01/02 call. If the exchange automatically calls you back immediately afterwards with the approx cost of the call, you're still on BT. If there's no immediate call back, your line is with another provider.

You can switch off BT Charge Advice with #411#
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Bamber19Bamber19 Forumite
    2.3K posts
    I have no service right now other than internet, attempting out calls has no dial tone and any in calls are met with the message "No Out Phone"

Heinz, nothing happened in that no service was provided, after waiting the amount of days or hours I was told to there was still no dial tone. What would appear to have happened is that my line rental with BT ended on the 12th, at which point Tiscali should have acted but instead they've done nothing and now appear to ahve no interest in sorting it. The way it is meant to work is that I shouldn't be paying line rental to BT at all anymore instead line rental is included in the Tiscali package but now Tiscali want me to sign up to BT again? (although probably if I phone again the next person will have another idea of what the problem and solution is since it's been different each time.

Drunkstar- by any service do you include internet in this? If so I have internet but no phone service at all. Clearly something has went wrong as I can't imagine every customer who migrates from BT to Tiscali is told "You don't need to do anything, your phone will be out for an hour on the day service switches to Tiscali and afterwards it will work fine" but then finds that they're expected to contact BT to reactivate the line that has only just been deactivated in order for Tiscali to take over the service :S
    Bought, not Brought
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly, Tiscali is at fault (I hesitate to say again but ......)

It sounds like the Small Claims Court is your best route (someone's going to have to pay at least for your trouble and, possibly, for the BT reconnection).

BTW, beware, Tiscali Customer Services is now an 0871 number!
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support