Too much frogspawn

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
9 replies 1.2K views
PrimrosePrimrose Forumite
9.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
Every year I get too much. What do you do with it all? Live with it, give some away to other pond owners or put the surplus on your compost heap? I always worry that too many tadpoles will starve as my tiny pond can't support them and end up spending a fortune on goldfish flakes and boiled lettuce.

Replies

• I shouldn't worry, the bigger ones will eat the little ones and your pond will end up with the 'right' amount.
  • scuzzscuzz Forumite
    2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know anyone with curious children? When I was little a neighbour gave me some to watch grow in a tank. I released the little frogs down the garden to hop off to the undergrowth where we had a frog population
    Comping, Clicking & Saving for Change
  • mountainofdebtmountainofdebt Forumite
    7.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    My fish always eat mine !

I'm going to try and rescue some though this year and 'donate' some to the pond that the local school has cleared....any ideas on how to get it there?
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • I'm not sure it's possible to have too much :D

The mortality rate is huge, so very few of the little gems will make it to adult hood so the more spawn the better!, you'd have to assume that the frogs know what they're doing :), I wouldnt bother feeding them personally, survival of the fittest and all that but giving some away to the local school maybe, we populated our pond in the first year from someone elses pond, so maybe put a notice in your local newsagent or something
  • My fish always eat mine !

I'm going to try and rescue some though this year and 'donate' some to the pond that the local school has cleared....any ideas on how to get it there?

Jamjars with some pond water and a few holes in the lid, we did a 150 mile roadtrip with some tadpoles in this way and they were fine at the other end
  • Don't worry - the odd bird will eat them, larger toads and frogs are cannibals, a lot will die but don't worry about them eating up all the food - ponds are great sustainable ecosystems and can easily cope with a few 100 tadpoles - how about giving them to a local primary school?
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' : Member number 632
    Nerds rule! :cool:
  • melimelmelimel Forumite
    106 Posts
    Primrose wrote: »
    Every year I get too much. What do you do with it all? Live with it, give some away to other pond owners or put the surplus on your compost heap? I always worry that too many tadpoles will starve as my tiny pond can't support them and end up spending a fortune on goldfish flakes and boiled lettuce.
    Do you already have frogspawn? We've been looking for my toddler but not found any yet...
  • saxy1saxy1 Forumite
    453 Posts
    We haven't got any frogspawn yet, just frogs 'making it' for hours!!!!
  • saxy1 wrote: »
    We haven't got any frogspawn yet, just frogs 'making it' for hours!!!!

LOL...quick get David Attenborough
    'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' : Member number 632
    Nerds rule! :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides