Calling O2 Mobile from landline

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
7 replies 4.2K views
ipaqowneripaqowner Forumite
10 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Phones & TV
I'm on a BT line with BTs together option1 plan.
I have an Orchid V4 dialler programmed to route my calls through CALL18866.
I use BTs Call Diversion to divert calls from my landline to my O2 mobile when I'm not at home.
I have an entry in my phones handset which I've named "Call Divert" and it is set to dial *21*mymobileno#
I'm trying to work out the cheapest way to divert calls to my mobile.
If I call a mobile via CALL18866 Daytime calls cost me 12p.
Call Diversion cannot be used through CALL18866.
However...I have my mobile number set as my BestFriend which saves me 20% and I also have BTs "CallMobile" Add-On which saves another 25% so would I be better off routing calls to my mobile through CALL18866 or via BT?

Replies

• You would be better off using www.18185.co.uk a sister company of 18866/1899.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I divert to my mobile for 17p excl. VAT for up to 20 minutes. Works out at 20p incl. VAT each time.

See HERE.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Heinz wrote: »
    I divert to my mobile for 17p excl. VAT for up to 20 minutes. Works out at 20p incl. VAT each time.

I think I may be better off just leaving it diverted through BT as knowing the caller is paying for the call to my home but the diversion to my mobile is costing me I keep the call as short as possible...I have no need to chat for 20 mins.
    On a related note...now that BT calls at the weekend are completely free on my BT Calling plan...I take it there is not even a connection charge...would you agree it would be best to unplug or over-ride the Orchid dialler at the weekend as there is still a connection charge with CALL18866?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ipaqowner wrote: »
    On a related note...now that BT calls at the weekend are completely free on my BT Calling plan...I take it there is not even a connection charge...would you agree it would be best to unplug or over-ride the Orchid dialler at the weekend as there is still a connection charge with CALL18866?
    No. Amend your program accordingly.

I've just installed an Orchid for my elderly Mother and she has BT's [free] Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan and a 18185 account.

What's you're set-up?
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    No. Amend your program accordingly.

I've just installed an Orchid for my elderly Mother and she has BT's [free] Unlimited Evening & Weekend Plan and a 18185 account.

What's you're set-up?

Can I ask why I shouldn't over-ride (or re-program) the dialler at the weekend?...surely CALL18866s connection charge for every call made at the weekend will work out dearer than BTs free weekend calls?
    Am I correct in saying there won't be a connection charge for every call made at the weekend on BT?
    I just got Orchid to pre-program the dialler to CALL18866 when I bought it 1 year ago.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ipaqowner wrote: »
    Am I correct in saying there won't be a connection charge for every call made at the weekend on BT?
    Yes, which is why I said re-program the V4 (that's the point of the thing, to do the routing work for you rather than you having to worry about, "Should I override the Orchid for this call?" and such).

Do I take it you don't use CW Client to do your own programming? If so, can I suggest a better option for you would be just to join the semi-automatic update system (it would require you to open a 18185 account but, apart from that, upgrading to BT Together Option 2 is all you'd need to do).
    Do I take it you don't use CW Client to do your own programming?

I had the CW Client installed but had never used it...in fact I had forgotten my login and password...a quick email to Orchid support got a quick reply with the details I needed...impressive.
    Fired up the client tonight, had a look at some of the CW Client videos and attempted to change the details...successfully...as it turns out...hurrah :j
    Logged into the client again after it had dialled home to pick up the new changed routing table and the active table now shows 3 0s at the top of the table under CALL18866 for weekend routing.
    I'll read up on the BT Option2 and CALL18185 suggestion.
    Many thanks again for your help.

John.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides