Secondhand Gas Cooker

Options
I have found a secondhand Delonghi freestanding gas cooker for sale. I can't see much can go wrong with quite a new cooker but wouldn't know what to look for - any advice appreciated. It is not in situ so can't be tested as the vendor bought it new then moved into a house with a fitted kitchen - reliable vendor but I don't want to go in blind!

Comments

• plumb1_2
    plumb1_2 Posts: 4,395 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It will need pressure testing.
  • catbert_2
    catbert_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    thanks, handy to know.

I've also just pulled out my old cooker to clean and repaint the wall behind it. I noticed that where the flexible hose joins the cooker it goes through what might be an adaptor (as it is foriegn make I understand this is not uncommon to make it fit to our standard gas supply)

But I notice it is not only screwed in but the joints are filled with what looks like plumbers putty (the stuff that never dries).

Is this normal? necessary? Slightly dodgy? I wonder now what to expect when the new cooker is installed and if I should have been living in fear of gas leaks the past 6 months.

Anyone got any ideas just to put my mind at rest? I like to know these things.
  • GreenB_2
    GreenB_2 Posts: 125 Forumite
    Options
    If you get a new cooker (secondhand or not) I believe it needs to be fitted by A corgi fitter otherwise you could find your house insuarance invalidated. Even if fitted by a push in connector you should not do this yourself , so budget for £50+ for a fitter.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You are alowed to use the push fit connector as a housholder, but if any fittings need to be used,( screwed with gas jointing compound) i e dismantling of adaptors ,also the cooker will need testing (new or secondhand) you need a Corgii registered engineer.

HSE Gas Safety Advice Line: 0800 300363
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• cheghead
    cheghead Posts: 849 Forumite
    Options
    As long as it is done in a 'competent manner' u are allowed to change over the push fit hose!
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    cheghead wrote:
    As long as it is done in a 'competent manner' u are allowed to change over the push fit hose!

If by change over the quick fit hose, you mean the whole of it,i.e. exchange for a new one then that is not true, as it will involve fitting a pipe and therefore "making" a joint, that is not allowed, as it has been known for these joints to be crossed threaded and result in a gas leak.

If I have misunderstood then apologies icon7.gif
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• catbert_2
    catbert_2 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I am clear anyway! I am not swapping over a hose merely disconnecting one to move the exisiting cooker and clean, so I am in the clear.

I'd never seen gas jointing compound, sealing it makes sense but I wanted to confirm it was standard and not something the previous diy inept owner had botched together!

I would like someone to check the new cooker/old joints before we use it anyway for my peace of mind - but haven't had much luck getting tradesmen to turn up (also trying to get new condensing boiler).

thanks for all the posts and tips.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport