What Does This Mean Please?

Options
My tax code is 503T - I looked up what the T part meant and it says:

T if there are any other items HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) needs to review in your tax code

Can anyone explain what these are please?

Thanks,

Sally
x

Comments

• whatatwit
    whatatwit Posts: 5,424 Forumite
    Options
    It would appear that your tax code has been restricted for something and as such it needs to be reviewed to make sure the restriction is correct each year.
    Do you receive any benefits in kind, or tips or are you repaying a tax underpayment from an earlier year?
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no: 203.
  • SallyUK
    SallyUK Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Whatawit

I'm not aware of any of these things that you've mentioned.

Sally
    x
  • whatatwit
    Options
    Have you received a notice of coding, and do you have any other source of income that is not taxed or a part time job.

Is this code shown on your payslip?
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Are you a higher rate taxpayer claiming an allowance for mileage? Or do you have bank interest?
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    Options
    do you receive any kind of benefits with your job..... Car allowance, Fuel Allowance, Health Cl ub membership etc
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • SallyUK
    SallyUK Posts: 2,344 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.

I don't get any allowance with my job at all. I don't have any other part time jobs - my hours have recently been reduced from 45 to 15 but that only happened last week and my tax code has been like this on my payslips for the past year or so.

Sally
    x
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Options
    Call your tax office and discuss with them .... we can only guess. And we've not guessed right so far :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369 Forumite
    Options
    With effect from 06-07 the P2 (Coding Notice) has been personalised. So either your 06-07 / 07-08 or the recent 08-09 P2 should show why a deduction has been made of several hundred pounds.
    Your payslips will show the Code .... but only the P2 will give the detail of why it's lower than the norm?
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • jobbingmusician
    Options
    And don't forget, one of the things it could mean is that the tax office has made a mistake!

There were some figures around 2 or 3 years ago suggesting that 25% of us were wrongly taxed.....:rolleyes: If there is nothing extraordinary about the OP's account, it does suggest she might have someone else's tax code.....
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • whatatwit
    Options
    Sally, find your P60's for the last few years, or failing that, any old payslips.
    Then, if you go to the HMRC site, you can find the Personal Allowance for those years and you can check if it agrees with your code, usually, you drop the last digit of the allowance and replace it with a letter. So, 4595 would become 459 L,T, H or whatever your letter is.

And as also suggested ring HMRC and ask how your allowance has been calculated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure