When exactly does child benefit/child tax credit end?

Options
13»

Comments

• Cocohat
    Options
    She has another year to go and it is important to us because it means I get Widowed Parents Allowance, but ONLY if I am eligible for child benefit. My husband neglected to pay his life insurance policy from 18 months before he died, so we live wholly on my salary. I work full time and earn under £30,000. This benefit is essential to us. Not sure what do do now besides appeal? They have not given me a reason and are difficult to get a hold of on the phone. Advice anyone?
    Cocohat
  • daviecol
    daviecol Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    I was gutted when my son left school for college at 16 and received no EMA (I had a good job but lost it and my wife is a part time cleaner so, we were now living in very tight circumstances). I was also gutted when Child Tax Credit was introduced and we found ourselves considerably worse off despite having two young children, whilst the single parents cartwheeled around the school yard in joy.

This pattern has followed us all through our lives, we both work hard and get practically no hand outs (other than cb obviously) and earn £30k between us.

Unfortunately despite voting for Labour since the disgraceful Thatcher years even I must concede that the level of 'government help' to certain people with kids has been outrageous. I a couple decide to have a child they must take personal responsibility to make sure (to the best of their ability, I concede nobody can see into the future) they can provide for it.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't blame the parents. If I came downstairs each morning and found somebody had pushed £50 through my letter box no doubt I would eventually I would come to expect/rely on it. However at the same time I would imagine there would be a part of me telling myself....this can't go on forever....I really should try to save this or learn to live without relying on it so, when the day comes that it stops I won't be left high and dry.

I am not just spouting off here as I mentioned earlier I had a well paid job however I read the signs a couple of years before the company went under. We changed house to a smaller one, bought a smaller cheaper car and paid of debts/cards. So when the day came and I was unemployed we were able to maintain our now reduced standard of living with a lower paid job.

It's time to prepare for the medium term at least to expect a life with much lower government handouts. Fact.
  • daviecol
    daviecol Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    My daughters ended the week she finished her last exam and that was around this time 2007. It was no big deal as she had a Saturday job and I had increased my working hours from the 1st of June as I was expecting to lose the tax credits for her.

Exactly my point, it might not be easy or nice but there are alternatives to relying on benefits. BTW my daughter also has a part time job cleaning in an old people home.

She might not be famous or rich but she loves going to buy herself clothes with her own earned money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure