How safe is a bank transfer?

Options

Comments

• babys*mum
    babys*mum Posts: 121 Forumite
    edited 12 November 2009 at 5:19PM
    Options
    I am buying something from the internet item does seem alitttle to good to be true

That coupled with being asked to pay by a BT IMO reeks of a scam.

Is the seller also telling you the item cannot be viewed and will be delivered to you, that the money will be held in a secure place until you say that you are happy with the goods.

If I did put them money thru and he didn’t send the item will he counted liable for it

Once the funds have cleared your bank account AFAIK there will be little chance of receovery if the item fails to materialise

Steer well clear

What is the item and where did you find the item for sell?
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,246 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    GSS wrote: »
    I hav Hi, I am buying something from the internet item does seem alitttle to good to be true and the guy I’m buying from is obviously saying its secure. He’s telling me to pay him thru a bank transfer and given me his account details and sort code so therefore saying its completely secure as I have his details but im still unsure. If I did put them money thru and he didn’t send the item will he counted liable for it?? PLEASE help me. Thank you

You are being scammed, please run away from this sale ASAP.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GSS wrote: »
    I hav Hi, I am buying something from the internet item does seem alitttle to good to be true and the guy I’m buying from is obviously saying its secure. He’s telling me to pay him thru a bank transfer and given me his account details and sort code so therefore saying its completely secure as I have his details but im still unsure. If I did put them money thru and he didn’t send the item will he counted liable for it?? PLEASE help me. Thank you

Its very safe for him but not for you. Your being scammed run away from this one. If he doesn't send the item there will be no way to get it
  • lisawood78
    lisawood78 Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Options
    Like everyone else says, DO NOT DO IT!
    Or be ready to wave bye bye to your cash.
    2 angels in heaven :A
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I had my own site, I would offer bank transfer/a debit form or whatever they use, but charge for paypal if the buyer wishes to do so. I think this would be more than fair. If a business preferred bank transfer, but accepted paypal and they gave me a discount for not using paypal(I tried this once, but got told off on eBay for circumventing fees lol) then I would pay by BT. In your case, it seems that you have just fell into a scam. Even in the far east, where a lot of them use Western Union still, more and more businesses are accepting paypal(some for a cost, most not) as they know buyers want protection from a sale
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,246 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    waqasahmed wrote: »
    If I had my own site, I would offer bank transfer/a debit form or whatever they use, but charge for paypal if the buyer wishes to do so. I think this would be more than fair. If a business preferred bank transfer, but accepted paypal and they gave me a discount for not using paypal(I tried this once, but got told off on eBay for circumventing fees lol) then I would pay by BT. In your case, it seems that you have just fell into a scam. Even in the far east, where a lot of them use Western Union still, more and more businesses are accepting paypal(some for a cost, most not) as they know buyers want protection from a sale

The problem is that any business or not would look scammy if a buyer was pushed towards a bank transfer. Running an online business can be hard and to give any indication that it is an amateur set up would be detrimental to sales, any online site that wanted my business would have to take some sort of protected payment without an additional cost otherwise I wouldn't bother. At the very least I would expect a secure credit card checkout but at a push if the money involved wasn't high I would expect paypal without an additional charge.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • cyberbob
    cyberbob Posts: 9,480 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I agree with Soolin on this one there is no way I would pay by bank transfer to a business I have never dealt with. If they are trying to push you that way alarm bells ring. My preference for non ebay sales is credit card as that is the safest method. I'm happy to use paypal on small amounts and do if there is money in that account
  • waqasahmed
    waqasahmed Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    At the very least I would expect a secure credit card checkout but at a push if the money involved wasn't high I would expect paypal without an additional charge.

Thats what I meant about a debit card thingy :D Dont interparcel do something similar?
  • jamescl
    jamescl Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but it's related.

What about international money transfers through IBAN.

A guy in the Czech Republic has bought something from me on Ebay and despite requiring payment via Paypal he says he can't pay by Paypal and is asking for IBAN details for a transfer.

I think he's ok as his feedback is good and I can see he's already purchased accessories in the last few days for the item he's purchased.

I've sent him my IBAN details, but just wanted to check he couldn't take the money back after I've sent the item or if I need to wait a certain amount of time.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why can they not do a chargeback? Quite possible the account they are transferring the money from
    maybe stolen or funded with a stolen credit card.

Especially international buyers.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure