Surely too pricey?

Options
Newleaf_3
Newleaf_3 Posts: 10 Forumite
Hi there,

We've been with Powergen now for the last two years since moving into our new house and we've had an ok time with them. We, on their advice, based on our usage etc, changed from paying quarterly bills to paying monthly direct debits and our bills appear to have shot through the roof.

Firstly, we have a 3-bed semi. It's not small, but it's not a rambling place - kitchen, conservatory, lounge, dining room, hall, beds and bathroom. We don't use heating in the summer, and we're out most days, all day. We watch TV at home most evenings, use lights (oddly), have most appliances incl. tumble dryer (rarely use) and dishwasher (used three times per week at most). According to Powergen, our current direct debit of £45 for both gas and electric doesn't come close to covering our usage - instead, they're adding an extra bill to be carried over which would work out at approx £80 per month direct debit for the two. Is this likely to be correct? The last two bills have been estimated, and when I've called to correct them, they're apparently not far off.

I'm now swapping to Npower who seem to be more realistic price-wise, and offer discounts and price freezing, but can anyone tell me what sort of price I can expect to be paying for dual fuel for my house? And, any cost-cutting tips on cutting utility bills?

With thanks,
newleaf x
Barclays overdraft: was £950 now £880
Nationwide overdraft 1: was £750 now £510
Nationwide overdraft 2 (joint with other half): was £2000 now £1800
Credit card 1: was £2500 now £1895
Credit card 2: was £1900 now £1200
Credit card 3: was £2300 now £0
Store card: was £297 now £0

Total debt as of 28th Feb 06 is £6285
Aims: pay off Barclays overdraft by July 06
pay off Nationwide overdraft 1 by Oct 06
combine credit cards & pay off £1000 by Dec 06
pay off cards by Dec 07

Comments

• Xbigman
    Xbigman Posts: 3,884 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Are you saying you were with powergen on quarterly billing and now you have switched to monthly billing (still Powergen) they are dearer?

If so then check your old bills and see if the readings were estimated. Something is wrong here.
    Regards

X
    Xbigman's guide to a happy life.

Eat properly
    Sleep properly
    Save some money
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income