Rewiring : Money up front

Options
I had a set of quotes for rewiring a flat and accepted the cheapest. He is starting in the next couple fo weeks but says he needs half the money up front, on the day he starts. Is this normal or should ararm bells be ringing?

Comments

• sticher
    sticher Posts: 599 Forumite
    Options
    My Ex is an electrician and one of the reasons he won't do private work is because often he doesn't get paid.

Maybe your electrician is just being cautious? He will also need some money to buy the necessary goods (if he is self employed, he may not be able to buy the stuff initially out of his own pocket).
  • clitb
    clitb Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    never pay for anything up front. Im a tradesman and never ask for anything up front.It should allways be on satisfactory completion of the work
  • Nutty_Tart
    Options
    I agree clitb - do not pay up front - if this is his business, he will have an account with the local wholesalers. As he is asking for money up front, I would also have to ask if he is properly registered (NICEIC etc) and will you get the correct paperwork when he has completed the job? If you are happy for him to proceed, how about asking him for a list of materials and purchasing them yourself - that may make you feel better than handing money over hoping he will come back (I'm not suggesting he wouldn't, just being cautious - after all, its a lot of money to hand over to someone you don't know!). Please don't forget about that all important paperwork/certificate at the end - it can act as your guarantee and you will need this when you sell your property.

Good luck NTx
    C Card £5218.68 (Feb 2011)
    £2 coins (No 085) - £190
    Mort overpayments 2011 - £418.06
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    Nutty_Tart wrote: »
    how about asking him for a list of materials and purchasing them yourself - that may make you feel better than handing money over hoping he will come back

Good luck NTx

what happens if the customer gets given the wrong things / orders wrong / naff items from screwfix or a local wholesaler?
    Even when you go to 3 wholesalers with the same list you get varying prices, quality and different items - some push their own brand which can be very naff.
    Who pays for any reparation (poor quality materials) or lost time when going to get replacements for wrong materials ?

I generally run a mile when the client wants to get materials (with the exception of decorative sockets etc). I buy decent materials at a better price than screwfix. This saves time and vastly improves the quality of the job.

As far as asking for money up front for rewires I do this all the time. I am usually booked up at least 3 weeks in advance, so if I pencil in a rewire job for 4 weeks away with no deposit, where do I stand if the client says don't need you now the day before the job (bearing in mind I have spent the past 3-4 weeks knocking back work that could have fitted in on tha date concerned)

I would be concerned by the cheapest quote if the electrician isn't registered.
    Make sure you get everyhing in writing before handing money over

I take credit cards, and these give better protection for the client.

You should use a competent person for the work, links below
    In Scotland:
    Individuals regitered;
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/ListAC.asp
    Companies
    http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/register/SearchCo.asp?T=Construction&ID=2
    In England and Wales:
    http://www.competentperson.co.uk
    baldly going on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories