Starbucks is coming to Newry...!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
15 replies 1.3K views
SnowyOwl_2SnowyOwl_2 Forumite
5.3K Posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
I noticed in the local paper that Starbucks is recruiting for a new outlet in Newry. Whoopee, who's up for a three quid triple skinny double decaffinated vegan shaken not stirred latte with raw cane brown sugar molasses on the side?!

Replies

• IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it come in a cup? Having seen their prices I count myself lucky that I can't stand coffee. :D:D

Ivan
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
  • SnowyOwl_2SnowyOwl_2 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ivan...a cup? Now that is posh! Yes, you get a cup for a "regular" one and a mug for a "large". (For what is basically a bit more water going through the same size scoop of coffee they deem it legal to charge an extra £1.50 or something ridiculous!) However you still have to carry it to your table yourself. I would recommend their chilled coffees - they are so good, if you don't mind the eye roll your "barista" gives you because they take ages to make and the queue ends up half a mile long and takes two hours to clear and said barista can't get out for a fag break.

When I lived in London a Starbucks opening was a sign that an area was picking up and becoming desirable to live in - it somehow gave people confidence and encouraged them to buy a house. I don't remember a Starbucks in County Kilburn though.
  • Another sign that it's up and coming is the local accent changing. Was in Newry yesterday, down by the Quays (stuck in traffic of course!), and didn't hear one local accent from the multitude of people milling about beside the basin. In fact, I don't remember hearing any of them speaking English.
    Good luck to anyone who wants to move to the UK, I'm all for a cosmopolitan mix, but Newry??? :confused:
    I couldn't wait to leave it, and still hate the thoughts of trying to drive through it when I'm down on a weekend. And as for Starbucks opening.......hardly a moneysaving tip telling me that! Thanks Snowy!!!! ;)
    I haven't been asked to tell you that I'm the [highlight]Board Drunk[/highlight] for this board. As the night wears on, my posts will become worse, with simple spelling mistakes, inane ramblings, and a blatant disregard for the truth. I have no authority to do anything, so there's no point asking or telling me. If you see me past midnight, please tell me to get my coat and order me a taxi.

Free Ebay Simple Profit/Loss Spreadsheet. PM me for a download link.
    5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Criminal Smile....if you don't like Newry, why do you keep coming back?

I don't know why people have migrated to Newry from other parts of Europe either. There does seem to be quite a large influx, but the attraction isn't obvious - maybe it's because it's right on the border and sort of mid-way-ish between Dublin & Belfast or something.

I myself migrated from London to Newry last year - it seemed a good idea whilst in the planning stages.

My post about Starbucks was tongue in cheek/sarcastic - though you did get that, didn't you? I hope we are speaking the same lingo:D.
  • I keep 'coming back' (I'm only in Belfast lol) 'cos my kids live there. Other than that it would only be holidays to see family, and even then, only for the day. Pmsl at Newry seeming a good idea 'in the planning stages'. I can only assume from that that it doesn't quite live up to expectations?
    It does seem to be getting better...slowly. If they would just close the city centre to traffic......say from Trevor hill to Abbey Yard, to bottom of Dublin Road, and Sugar Island.....I'd be much happier.
    Make everyone walk to the shops, instead of triple parking in the middle of Hill Sreet on a Saturday afternoon. Perhaps I'll win the lotto too? Eh?
    Keep up the sarcasm Snowy...we need more of that round these parts! :D
    I haven't been asked to tell you that I'm the [highlight]Board Drunk[/highlight] for this board. As the night wears on, my posts will become worse, with simple spelling mistakes, inane ramblings, and a blatant disregard for the truth. I have no authority to do anything, so there's no point asking or telling me. If you see me past midnight, please tell me to get my coat and order me a taxi.

• Paddymcc_2Paddymcc_2 Forumite
    105 Posts
    Yep i have to agree that Newry is packed with eastern europeans but hey its all good for the economy. Look at the business Lidl is doing ;)

And the Polish night in the town bar on thursdays is very busy too.
    :: No Links in signatures please - Edited by Forum Manager ::
  • Paddymcc wrote:

And the Polish night in the town bar on thursdays is very busy too.

So is that where everyone cleans the tables then???? :rotfl:

5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, Hill Street is a nightmare at any time when the shops are open...have been saying since I got here that it really needs to be a pedestrian precinct, though you're only supposed to get up to an hour's parking before you're required to move on. If it was pedestrianised I think there might be a riot in protest, people do so love to park right outside wherever they are going. The worst bit is outside the greengrocer, people just dump their cars wherever they fancy, even if there isn't actually a free parking spot.

I think that when I departed London I hadn't got my head around the fact that Newry is a city but is still v.small. Nothing is wrong with Newry (other than the traffic) and most people living here are v.happy. I had been in London for so long I just thought everywhere would be sort of the same, just on a smaller scale as London. And please don't say move to Belfast...I worked there for a while on my arrival in NI, and don't want to work there again (but please don't ask me to elaborate on that, it was an unpleasant political based confrontation against me which had me gobsmacked - nuff said). Newry looked like it would offer the best choice and variety of work but I was still in London mode and of course was sorely disappointed...ain't Newry's fault that I got it all wrong! In Newry's favour though, the scenery in the surrounding countryside is amazing, and the people are v.friendly (though I never noticed Londoners being unfriendly, much to people's amazement LOL!).
  • I remember when I was at school in the early eighties, we were given a project. Design a tourist brochure for Newry and the surrounding areas. If you think it'd be tough now, imagine what it was like 20 years ago. No shopping centre at that time. The quays was still a coal yard, and Buttercrane was a builders merchant. I have to agree that the scenery is fantastic when you get out into the sticks, and after 30 years, I still find wee places I've never seen. But for me, scenery is like Jordan.....nice to look at, but I couldn't live with her all the time.
    Give me 24 hour shops and a well set up infrastructure anyday.

5.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You hit the nail on the head there Criminal Smile! I wouldn't want to live with Jordan either, regardless the size of her mountains...

My original post about Starbucks is kind of in the same theme as your views on infrastructure and what have you. As I mentioned before, in London a Starbucks in the vicinity was (apparently) as sure sign that you were in a trendy and with it area, and that house prices were going to shoot up. They have shot up this past year I've been here (houses in the development where I live are going for double what I paid, which is pretty amazing!) and I do think that Newry is still in a transitional phase. When I first left NI all those years ago - shortly after you were doing your assignment re tourism in the South Down/South Armagh area Newry was normally dismissed as "a dump" or "a hole". It has changed beyond recognition, that can't be denied! But it still lacks the mature infrastructure and 24 hr shopping you describe - maybe needs another decade or so to get there. In the meantime I'll just walk past Starbucks as they are a rip off.

BTW what DID you put in your tourism assignment?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals