Windows Vista the officail name for "Longhorn"

Options
Arriving 2006 Windows Vista, formerly Windows code name "Longhorn".
Beta 1 will be available by August 3rd 2005.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

Prices of PC's will drop i guess.
My right to smoke ends
when your right to breathe begins

Will God forgive my deadly sins?
Will Britons forgive me ever since?

Good Smoker Campaign

Comments

• londonman81
    londonman81 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fantastic - I buy a new PC with XP and within a few months its already out of date....thanks Microsoft! Oh and I suppose the new one will be full of bugs of course...
    "To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." Amos Bronson Alcott
  • user1234_2
    user1234_2 Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    freeonline wrote:
    Prices of PC's will drop i guess.
    Why you say that?
    Fantastic - I buy a new PC with XP and within a few months its already out of date....thanks Microsoft! Oh and I suppose the new one will be full of bugs of course...
    Vista/Longhorn won't be out until 2006!! and who knows how much further it will be delayed. We'll be stuck with XP for a long time yet
  • Rex_Mundi
    Rex_Mundi Posts: 6,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is talk that this beta version will come out with IE 7. There is also a rumour that IE 7 beta will be available the day after this release of Longhorn. MS are staying tight lipped about this possible release of IE 7 next week.

For anyone tempted by this upcoming release. Remember it is a 'beta' version. This means it is not the finished version and will likely come with many problems.
    How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Fish
  • TheChillPill
    Options
    Prices of PC's will likely drop because, unlike previous windows versions, Vista is expected to have high system requirements - i.e when XP came out, it could run on hardware a few years old - Vista will require something pretty new.

Thats the rumour anyway.

Having seen and tested Vista (when it was called Longhorn), I've got to say it hasn't overwhelmed me at all - considering this is the longest period between OS's for Microsoft, I would have expected at least one or two things to make me say 'wow' - but its more like a tweaked XP to me.

Now, if Apple let PC users install OSX - then we would have something to get excited about! (there are ways of getting Tiger to install, but it's messy - I'm referring to Apple supporting the idea, rather than being able to do workarounds to get it to work).
  • newfoundglory
    newfoundglory Posts: 1,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I dont see a rush to get Longhorn/Vista. If you are totally honest, the result when its released is going to be buggy. Most uses would do better to wait until at least SP1 of Vista is released before installing/upgrading or buying, which will probably be a good 15-18 months after the initial release which will iron out the majority of the creases. XP is going to remain a far more mature operating system for quite a while yet, by which time IE7 and SP3 should be available.
    Now, if Apple let PC users install OSX - then we would have something to get excited about! (there are ways of getting Tiger to install, but it's messy - I'm referring to Apple supporting the idea, rather than being able to do workarounds to get it to work).
    I have suspected for a long time that OS X would compile and run on Intel processors, namely because large parts were taken from FreeBSD which is mainly intel-based, and that of course Darwin runs on Intel too. And of course WWDC confirmed this. However, its very wishful thinking that Apple would ever do or support this. No one would buy their hardware if they made such a move (Apple *are* a hardware company, and this is where they make their money). I can almost say for certain that this will NEVER happen. Emulation of PPC isn't really practical for usage.

If you want a pretty looking unix desktop, grab a copy of FreeBSD and try some of the popular desktops; KDE, Gnome, or enlightenment which is very impressive.
  • TheChillPill
    TheChillPill Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree, it's not likely to happen, though I suspect it's not so much down to the loss of hardware sales (Apple are clearly way out in front when it comes to design - so people will still buy on that basis), I feel it's more likely down to Apple not wanting to have to support thousands of little manufacturers and everything that comes with it - drivers etc.

I currently run XP, OSX and Fedora (with Gnome) on my systems - and while I think Linux distros certainly have a bright future, they all seem to follow the Windows GUI - whereas OSX is leaps in front in that respect.
  • freeonline
    freeonline Posts: 118 Forumite
    Options
    Rex_Mundi wrote:
    There is talk that this beta version will come out with IE 7. There is also a rumour that IE 7 beta will be available the day after this release of Longhorn. MS are staying tight lipped about this possible release of IE 7 next week.

For anyone tempted by this upcoming release. Remember it is a 'beta' version. This means it is not the finished version and will likely come with many problems.

IE 7 is already included in Windows Longhorn 5203

lh3.jpg
    My right to smoke ends
    when your right to breathe begins

Will God forgive my deadly sins?
    Will Britons forgive me ever since?

Good Smoker Campaign
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing