Any experience of Remote IT support?

Options
we are a small business what is your experience of Remote IT support? we are being offered some help with the use of PC Anywhere. Is this the best thing to use and what about confidentiality of documents? Anything we should bear in mind? thanks in advance.

Comments

• scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Options
    it depends on what the support is for. If it's over all support then it's not the best solution as you can't fix all problems via PC anywhere.
    If it's for 1 application then it's not too bad. For the security issue you can unplug it from the phone line and setup user accounts. With the document confidentiality you can watch what is being done on PC Anywhere when they're doing it
  • building
    building Posts: 531 Forumite
    Options
    For example this is the type of thing I am looking for:

- help fix SKYPE
    - synchronising of all data on one computer to go to other computer (
    - back up of info
    - tidy up files

it depends on what the support is for. If it's over all support then it's not the best solution as you can't fix all problems via PC anywhere.
    If it's for 1 application then it's not too bad. For the security issue you can unplug it from the phone line and setup user accounts. With the document confidentiality you can watch what is being done on PC Anywhere when they're doing it
  • Lexis200
    Lexis200 Posts: 272 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't think remote support sounds like a good idea for what you're looking for.

What problems are you having with Skype? Try emailing Skype themselves (they're a bit slow in replying, but very helpful), or look through their FAQs.

For synchronising data, it sounds like you've just bought a new PC? If so there are several programs out there that will help you migrate your settings... try http://www.cellarstone.com/stepup.htm or http://www.spearit.com/products.html, or use Windows XP's free utility called FAST (Files and Settings Transfer) http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/bott_fstw.mspx. If you're just copying information to another PC in the office, it depends on the data, but may be possible remotely (depending on the features of the remote software, security issues, network issues etc)

Backing up data is CRITICAL nowadays, and there are hundreds of solutions. Depending on how large the files are (and how critical!) will depend on what solution to go for. Everything from floppy discs, to DVD-RW, to tape backup or external hard drive is possible.

Tidying up files is a very personal thing... what is junk to me could be essential for you. If it's just that you have say project files all over the place, spend some time moving them to a dedicated area (C:\Documents and Settings\user1\My Documents\Projects for example). It'll be worth the time, and make it easier to backup too.

Let me know if any of this is helpful, and I can try and expand on things if you want... I work with small businesses all the time for this sort of thing. Bottom line though, the sorts of things you mention either aren't really suitable for remote support, or definitely need physical access to the PCs in question (the synchronising issue).

Dave

ps. The applications mentioned may not be suitable for your specific needs, so make sure you research them thoroughly before comitting to them.

pps BACK UP EVERYTHING before making any changes!
    Te audire no possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure