PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

A perfect turkey pie? Any ideas, please?

Options
I've had a little search thru the mega indexed bit!

I want to use some of the turkey up tomorrow in a pie. Have pastry in freezer. Wanted to make a sauce with the double cream we have left. How?!

So basically can I make a white sauce for the pie with double cream?

TIA!

Lisa :rudolf:
MoneyBox savings £30.37 (10/05/06)
Now at................£54.50(07/06/06)

:j :j :j :beer: :beer: :T

Bank account RBS in the black

Bank account Lloyds in the RED :mad:

Comments

• in_my_wellies
    Options
    Turkey frikasay (sorry about spelling)
    Yes it is a white sauce. I make mine with half milk/cream and half stock from the bird. I also add the juice of half a lemon and pepper but no salt. I add some mushrooms if I have some in.
    Love living in a village in the country side
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sure you can and it should turn out very rich and creamy. If you are unsure of a white sauce recipe you can't do better than the ones on the Be-ro website listed under sauces on the right hand side of the page in the link below:-

http://www.be-ro.co.uk/f_insp.htm
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    I'm making a turkey and leek pie today but must admit I'm using a can of condensed soup as the sauce and keeping the double cream for coffee or to pour over left over apple pies (we don't like mincemeat so I make little apple ones)
  • tootles_2
    tootles_2 Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    If you use either cream or yogurt in a sauce you should put either flour or cornflour in the sauce to stop the cream or yogurt splitting..... I add mushrooms to mine.....

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far £14.00!!
  • manicdays
    Options
    thank you very much. He's b*ggered off to the football so I'm not making it for him now!!!!

Lisa x
    MoneyBox savings £30.37 (10/05/06)
    Now at................£54.50(07/06/06)

:j :j :j :beer: :beer: :T

Bank account RBS in the black

Bank account Lloyds in the RED :mad:
  • icandream
    Options
    After my useful audit of my freezer last w/e, I unearthed some turkey, from Christmas. I fancy making it into a pie, as I also unearthed a lot of shortcrust pastry.

I've checked Rosieben's terrific recipe collection, but can only find one entry for pies: and that's a recipe for a mince pie. I've googled, but have found some I don't trust (I've spent 30 mins looking - one even had grated cheddar in it?!). So I'm now asking for help. Do you have a tried and trusted and rather delicious turkey pie recipe you could direct me to for tonight's supper? I love pies, but have never really perfected them, and shop bought have proved better (says a lot, doesn't it!). But I am desperately trying not to spend so much on such an expensive way of feeding the family.

Thanks for any help.

March Grocery Challenge: £270/spend: £264.12
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi iceandream,

This older thread might give you some ideas:

turkey pie recipe help please

Or could you adapt some of the suggestions on this thread:

Chicken pie?

Pink
  • dan1979
    dan1979 Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    Just throw some chopped onion into a pan, soften then add chicken stock, flour to thicken leftover veggies and the turkey. When it's warm and thickened stick it in a pie dish and cover it with the pastry.

It's all I do and have to say it results in a pretty taste pie (i.e better than anything I've ever had from a supermarket) with minimal cost/effort - I've always done it with cold leftovers.

Bit of mash and some more veg on the side and a dribble of gravy over it - textbook.
  • mollymunchkin
    Options
    There's a turkey pie recipe on the 'lovefoodhatewaste' website posted by boo81:

http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipes/show/128
    Cos I don't shine if you don't shine.
  • ubamother
    ubamother Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    Options
    with spare chicken/turkey for a pie i soften an onion, leeks, diced carrots and celery (or whatever you have!), and make a sauce of gravy thickness with half stock/half millk, and add the chopped meat and put the pastry over that - i find the milkbased sauce matches the gentle taste of white meat well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure