We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

IVA to BR

I have been contacted by Bankruptcy UK informing me I have been mis-soled my IVA as I have no assets to hold onto.

Should I carry on with IVA or go with BR need advice.:money:

Comments

• MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    Xmas Saver! Wedding Day Wonder Debt-free and Proud! Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Are they a charity or a company? :confused: Have you spoken to CCCS or one of the other charities (see my signature for links)
    T
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Newshound! Car Insurance Carver! Rampant Recycler
    They are not a charity. Far from it.:rolleyes:

Lots of companies like this are trying to take advantage of people in IVA's.

Very dodgy at best, and at worst very very harmful to you.

ALWAYS get professional INDEPENDENT advice before taking any action to change or get out of an IVA.

As tine says, the best sources of that independent advice are in our signatures, and they are also recommended by Martin and this site. See: Non-profit Debt Counsellors' List
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • MrsTinks
    MrsTinks Posts: 15,241 Forumite
    Xmas Saver! Wedding Day Wonder Debt-free and Proud! Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Thanks Fermi - I tried to google them but nothing came up that I could say was them for sure :) Another one to add to my list of Naughty Companies ;)
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's! :)

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Newshound! Car Insurance Carver! Rampant Recycler
    Yep. :rolleyes:

Companies like this keep popping up. One of them even tried to make themselves look as if the were linked to the official government Insolvency Service. See HERE and HERE.

As always, if any company write to you saying that they can solve all your problems then it's most likely too good to be true. Applies to IVA's and bankruptcy as with anything else.

wils3957: If CCCS, National Debtline, or CAB thinks that bankruptcy would be better for you and you agree, then believe me, you can do it yourself without paying companies like this any fees. But the important thing is to get any advice from somewhere that doesn't stand to gain anything from you making that (or any other) choice.

EDIT: Link above was incorrect. Ok now.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 345.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 251K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 451K Spending & Discounts
  • 237.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 612.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 174.3K Life & Family
  • 251K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.