What features should I look for in a Freeview box and which ones are good/bad?

Options
Hi,

I'm going to buy a new TV and with it a new Freeview box to get the extra digital channels.

But I would like to make an informed purchase and not a random one.

So I would like to know which features to look out for in a new Freeview box plus which models are known to be good quality or bad quality.

Many thanks!

L
"To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." Amos Bronson Alcott

Comments

• shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Options
    Well I fully recommend Humax boxes. They have standard freeview box the Fox-T and a PVR (Personnel Video Recorder) with 80gab hard disk called the 8000T. More info here http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk

They are well built boxes, and not the cheap plastic feel, metal cases. Yes they cost more but they are solid, well built and the software is pretty rugid. They also contain a 8 day EPG so you can see whats coming on.

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • gk172
    gk172 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or there are ones that accept cards, handy if you fancy getting the top up tv option available via freeview.
    The more i save the more i can spend:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
  • shrek101
    Options
    Humax have a dual tuner pvr coming out soon with a cam slot in for TopTV. Might be out fo your budget though, price yet to be announced but I am sure it wil be £200 mark.

• flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Options
    From my experience a freeview box is a freeview box, if you just want extra channels and dont wish to have extra sound outputs etc then a cheap one will be fine.
    If you want things like Top up tv,( cartoon network etc) then you will need to find one with a card slot
  • chem14346777
    chem14346777 Posts: 230 Forumite
    Options
    As they are switching the Analogue signal off in the nearish future, you should consider investing in a digital TV, rather than a seperate TV and freeview box, this will provide all the standard freeview channels.

Mind you, I'm not sure how these prices vary, it may work out more expensive in the long run... :confused:
  • shrek101
    Options
    There trouble is not all of them are the same, Some have inherit bugs in the software that cause the box to crash. Others may be slow to switch channels and don't have the EPG programming Guide, or if they do work may not show the full range, due to small memory buffer.

I know Humax are good they get very good reviews and they have good support. Even sent me a free cable to update my PVR when there wasn't an over-the-air update at the time.

You get what you pay for.

• RowaN
    RowaN Posts: 184 Forumite
    Options
    Not all freeview boxes are equal. Features you may (or may not) want to check for:

Optical audio out, or none?
    RGB scart out, or is it only RF/composite?
    10 day EPG, or just now/next?
    Card slot? Not all card slots are TopupTv compatible.

I recommend the Pace Twin. Despite its various bugs (to be fixed in a new firmware circa Aug 2005 according to Pace) most users including me still adore it. It also has a built in 20gig HD (which you can upgrade yourself to a bigger size) for easy recording of programs via the onscreen 10 day EPG. Pausing live tv and fastforwarding ads.. its fun. =]
    I hear the cry of the silence around me.
  • flang
    flang Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Options
    Londonman What are you expecting to get out your freeview box?
    If you just want to watch tv nothing fancy then a basic one will do the job but like other say, if you want more features you pay more.
  • oh_no_5
    oh_no_5 Posts: 53 Forumite
    Options
    I've just bought a Sagem freeview from Argos for GBP 30.(Sorry my pound sign doesn't work).

Easy to fit,and I can now cancel my Telewest digital T.V. @ 6 quid a month direct debit.
    Oh Happy days.......
  • londonman81
    londonman81 Posts: 1,130 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd be looking for one with Top Up TV compatibility - does anyone know the cheapest one with this feature? I've seen one for £80 in Argos (Thomson).
    "To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." Amos Bronson Alcott
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure