Buying a 2nd hand PC-What spec to look for?

Options
tigs78
tigs78 Posts: 539 Forumite
I need to buy a second hand PC as I will be moving into my own place soon and the one I use at the moment belongs to my sister.

I have an extremely limited knowledge of computers and would be grateful if somebody could advise me of what specifications to look for.

I've seen one on e-bay that looks similar aesthetically to my sisters' computer which is perfectly adequate for what I use it for: Browsing internet via broadband (lots of!), online shopping, sending and receiving e-mails, storing digital photographs, copying my own CD's to have a copy for the car and the occasional word document. The spec of the one on e-bay is as follows:
Chip Type: Intel Pentium 4
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Memory (RAM): 512 MB
Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB
Brand: Packard Bell, NEC
Primary Drive: DVD+/-RW
Features: Graphics Card, Keyboard, Modem, Monitor, Mouse, Network Card, Operating System, Speakers, USB.

Is this OK for what I would be using it for? I'm not necessarily going to buy this particular one I'd just like some advise on the spec.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Rave
    Rave Posts: 513 Forumite
    Options
    That will be fine. Do compare the prices on ebay with the price you'd pay for a new computer- Dell would probably charge you less than £400 for a computer with a similar spec, brand new including monitor. Ebay isn't always the best value;).
  • StockportGerbil
    Options
    Second hand PCs generally aren't that cheap and that sort of spec isn't that out of date, so I would suggest buying new may be a better bet. Dell is an obvious place to start, but also have a look at Morgan Computers (http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/) particularly if there is one near you or a decent computer shop (https://www.microdirect.co.uk would be my choice in Manchester)
    Kev
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport