What is an "electrical effective suppressor"

Options
A tenancy agreement says.....

""Not to use in the Property any electrical device without an effective suppressor fitted thereto.""

What is an suppressor? What does this sentence mean. Could you put a link to a picture of a suppressor?

Thanks
“…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"

Comments

• Glad
    Glad Posts: 18,865 Senior Ambassador
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    I am a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Wales, Small Biz MoneySaving, In My Home (includes DIY) MoneySaving, and Old style MoneySaving boards. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    HappySad wrote: »

""Not to use in the Property any electrical device without an effective suppressor fitted thereto.""

What is an suppressor? What does this sentence mean. Could you put a link to a picture of a suppressor?

Thanks

Some electrical devices can generate electrical noise which could, if not filtered/suppressed, affect other appliances. A suppressor would typically be located in the supply cable (normally within the appliance casing) to filter the electrical noise and prevent it getting onto the electricity supply (the ring main in your house and the wider network) and hence affecting other appliances.

That said I have no idea why anyone would bother to include a clause within a tenancy agreement on the issue because as far as I'm aware most modern electrical equipment would, if it needed a suppressor, have one fitted as a requirement to pass the regulations before it could be sold - I'd be surprised if you could buy appliances on the high street that weren't compliant.

Also I'd very much doubt that you're typical letting agency bod would have a clue about how to check whether a suppressor was fitted and performing to the required regulations.
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    HappySad wrote: »

Thanks

All stuff sold now (for domestic / consumer use) should have a transient rf supressot built in. They are effectively the items you get built in to 'spike protector' extension leads that you get for pc's

I would however have a laugh with the letting agent / landlord and ask why you can't use table lamps or any lights in the dwelling. Lamps (with the exception of flourescant lamps) do not generally require them.

generally if an item is CE marked (you will see this on the appliance or packet) all should be well.
    baldly going on...
  • HappySad
    HappySad Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your information about this term.....
    “…the ‘insatiability doctrine – we spend money we don’t have, on things we don’t need, to make impressions that don’t last, on people we don’t care about.” Professor Tim Jackson

“The best things in life is not things"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport