Win XP Password Prompt

Options
Hi all, :D

I've been having problems with my startup on Windows XP - when it gets to the blue welcome screen, I get a message box saying "Your password will expire in 14 days. Do you want to change it now?" There are then two options; yes, and no. I always click no.

However, this is strange because I only have the one user account on this PC and that doesn't even have a password, so it loads straight up to the desktop. This weird password prompt has suddenly started popping-up during startup.

I suspected virus/spyware so have done full scans with updated virus definitions (Norton) and a full spyware scan with updated spyware definitions (Microsoft Antispyware). These scans both found nothing :confused:

If anyone can help, please do! :p

Comments

• TheChillPill
    Options
    Thats perfectly normal - click yes, leave it blank again and you won't get the message for another couple of months.
  • moneyuser
    moneyuser Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you have xp pro go to

control panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Local Users and Groups

click on Users, select your username. right click go to properties, then select "Password never expires option"

Haven't got xp home in front of me atm so can't remember how to do it for that
  • CrazyChemist_2
    CrazyChemist_2 Posts: 1,565 Forumite
    Options
    I can't find the option to right click the username but will click yes next time it appears.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure