ceilings cracking

Options
I think I might have posted about this before but it was many moons ago.

Any how, the problem is that in every room in the house there are cracked ceilings and that includes the the hall way. I know these have been up since the house was built in 1979 so could contain white asbestos (sp?)so needs to be removed careful.

The bathroom is really peeling off but when the bathroom gets done it I will get an fan put in to solve the problem of damp.

Now we are doing the place up on budget that would be about £0.00 :rotfl:. I know getting in someone to do the ceilings is going to cost bit time. As the problems are seem to be on the seam line of where it is straight on the edge and in to the dabbed bit. Would it be cheaper to put coving up.

I know that does not solve the problem. The thing is due to circumstances I am not sure that we are going to be after another two years. That of course depends on house prices and finances etc.

I am just storing up problems for myself. The thing is that every room needs to be decorated including hall way and all new carpet through out. New kitchen and bathroom as well. I even have seams on the plaster board in rooms peeling which means getting someone in to sort out and plaster.

It just seems there is so much to do and I don't know where to start. Because I can't decorating the rooms until the ceilings and walls are sorted. We have been here 3 years and I feel we have done nothing. We have sort of decorated the kitchen and living only because they where gross and the little bedroom easy as only used as a craft room come office for me.

I have now depressed myself thinking about it :o my house is a hole and that is why I don't want anyone in here as it is not very nice.

Any ideas anyone.

Yours

Calley
Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin

Comments

• Toiletduck
    Options
    calleyw wrote: »
    I think I might have posted about this before but it was many moons ago.

Any how, the problem is that in every room in the house there are cracked ceilings and that includes the the hall way. I know these have been up since the house was built in 1979 so could contain white asbestos (sp?)so needs to be removed careful.

The bathroom is really peeling off but when the bathroom gets done it I will get an fan put in to solve the problem of damp.

Now we are doing the place up on budget that would be about £0.00 :rotfl:. I know getting in someone to do the ceilings is going to cost bit time. As the problems are seem to be on the seam line of where it is straight on the edge and in to the dabbed bit. Would it be cheaper to put coving up.

I know that does not solve the problem. The thing is due to circumstances I am not sure that we are going to be after another two years. That of course depends on house prices and finances etc.

I am just storing up problems for myself. The thing is that every room needs to be decorated including hall way and all new carpet through out. New kitchen and bathroom as well. I even have seams on the plaster board in rooms peeling which means getting someone in to sort out and plaster.

It just seems there is so much to do and I don't know where to start. Because I can't decorating the rooms until the ceilings and walls are sorted. We have been here 3 years and I feel we have done nothing. We have sort of decorated the kitchen and living only because they where gross and the little bedroom easy as only used as a craft room come office for me.

I have now depressed myself thinking about it :o my house is a hole and that is why I don't want anyone in here as it is not very nice.

Any ideas anyone.

Yours

Calley

Could you just get them skimmed over if the cracks arnt too big? I just paid £100 to have the kithcen ceiling skimmed over, it had been artexed and had a big crack through the middle due to a water leak. Looks fine now.

andy
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,846 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Toiletduck wrote: »
    Could you just get them skimmed over if the cracks arnt too big? I just paid £100 to have the kithcen ceiling skimmed over, it had been artexed and had a big crack through the middle due to a water leak. Looks fine now.

andy

I was thinking that but the thing that concerns me is I have no idea why every ceiling is cracking. So it concerns me that I would pay for the job to be done and they go and crack again.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • aliasojo
    aliasojo Posts: 23,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nelly wrote: »
    I think it sounds like the 'paper joint tape' is comming away this isnt exactly a common problem but it does happen....... in fact I fixed one only last week.

If so.... then cut it out with a stanley knife and fill in with the stuff I allready mentioned.

Every flaming room in my house was like this. In fact everyone I know round here moans about the same thing. Our houses are particularly bad for it.

I have had to take off the old paper tape and retape with the sticky mesh stuff before using the joint filler nelly mentioned.

It sounds worse than it is and is quite worrying if you've not done it before but it's dead easy. If you make a mess, you can always sand it off so dont worry about being stuck with it.

I bet all your plasterboard was nailed and not screwed. Nails are just not as good as screws and the boards can loosen or move very slightly over time and the nails can pop out a bit. if this is the case, it's best to put some screws in just to help fix the board and lessen movement.
    Herman - MP for all! :)
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    aliasojo wrote: »
    I bet all your plasterboard was nailed and not screwed. Nails are just not as good as screws and the boards can loosen or move very slightly over time and the nails can pop out a bit. if this is the case, it's best to put some screws in just to help fix the board and lessen movement.

Very good point^ I didnt to mention that :(

Which is especially stupid of me as I refuse to use nails and have a special self feeding screw gun that cost me a packet :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure