Problems with uninstalled program

Options
shopbot
shopbot Posts: 1,022 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Please can anyone give advice on the following?
I downloaded Virtual Audio Cable but it did'nt have the functions I needed so I uninstalled it using its own uninstall function. Since then everytime I start my computer I get a message starting 'Found new hardware wizard' and in the tray in the bottom right corner of the screen it has a 'new hardware installed' bubble with a Virtual Audio Cable icon.
As the program has been uninstalled I am not sure how to get rid of these. I have tried using CCleaner and the uninstall functions on Spybot and Windows XP. However these programs find no reference to VAC.

Any ideas gratefully received!

Comments

• shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Options
    Is this what you got.

http://www.ntonyx.com/vac.htm

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • shopbot
    Options
    Hi Shrek101.
    That's the one!!!
  • deary65
    deary65 Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    DL. this free utility: http://www.epsilonsquared.com/installrite.htm. what i would do is reinstall the programe using this utility.then go into the properties of installrite and look at the entries in the reg. folder.It is allso handy when you are installing unknowen promgrames.
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.
  • shrek101
    shrek101 Posts: 2,249 Forumite
    Options
    Sounds like a driver is still installed. Occasional reinstall and uninstall may do the trick. I cant find any other solutions in the FAQ.

No longer a user, goodbye folks. PLEASE delete my account. Thank you
  • shopbot
    Options
    shrek101 wrote:
    Sounds like a driver is still installed. Occasional reinstall and uninstall may do the trick. I cant find any other solutions in the FAQ.

Thanks....
    I downloaded it again and tried to re-install. It would'nt do this because it said that a driver was already installed. It gave the name of the driver which I then found and deleted. However the problem still occurs :mad:

Deary65: Thanks for your post. Is this a process for an advanced user? I ask because you refer to 'reg folder' Is this the same as 'the registry' as I have always been told not to go near that unless 100% sure what I am doing!
  • deary65
    Options
    No,but if your are not happy using the registry.download the promgrame anyway.Then re-install the programe( intonyx)using installrite, then uninstall using installrite.
    ps use the wizard. http://www.epsilonsquared.com/
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.
  • shopbot
    Options
    deary65 wrote:
    No,but if your are not happy using the registry.download the promgrame anyway.Then re-install the programe( intonyx)using installrite, then uninstall using installrite.
    ps use the wizard. http://www.epsilonsquared.com/

Have downloaded Installrite and used it to re-install the program. However I cannot find a uninstall program function on installrite?
    I also have tried to use the uninstall function on XP, CCleaner and Spybot. However the program does not show up on the lists of programs. It does however show when I click Start then All Programs. I used the programs uninstaller and got the following message:

20.07.05*09:44:47**MessageBox: Cannot delete directory "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Virtual Audio Cable" (0/32 - The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.)

I can't think what that process would be as I did'nt have anything else running at the time?
  • deary65
    Options
    hi shopbot,
    At work at the moment;the benefit of installrite is that it records the enteries on your system,i assume you are using xp.Have you read the help files and taken snapshot of your system before installing the programe.This way you can export a copy of the changes to the installrite folder.try reading the help files so you get an idea how the programe functions.
    have you tried running ccleaner in safe mode.
    have you gone into msconfig in the run menu and checked startup.
    keep me posted
  • shopbot
    Options
    Hi,
    I think I have found a solution. When the 'found new hardware wizard' message appears during start up it asks if it can connect to the internet to find software. Instead of denying it I allowed it to connect. It then told me that it could not locate the correct software and gave me an option to stop the Wizard appearing again. I took the option and rebooted. On start up neither the Wizard or the Virtual Audio Cable icon appeared. Hooray!

From a techie point of view this is probably not the complete solution as I suspect there could be a few rogue files left over from the uninstall...however it will do me for now!

Thanks Deary65 and Shrek101 for your help. Much appreciated :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport