Inner ear / Balance Problems

Options
Hello, I hope no one minds me starting a new thread.My name is Steph, im 26 and i suffer from a vestibular imbalance which basically means in dizzy all the time, i feel like im tilting to one side and i dont have much balance...basically i have no life anymore! :(I just wanted to see if anyone else suffers from this as it has seriously ruined my life. I used to be outgoing, very independant, would take my little girl (7) out anywhere and never relied on anyone.Now i cant even go to the local shop without taking my bike which i need to hold onto for balance .
I feel so low as i know this affects my DD (i think thats right) as she used to have a mum who would take her places and hop on a bus or coach and do stuff and now shes got me! I try not to let myself feel down but i cant help it. I only have 1 close friend but i feel like shes fed up with me cause i need her help to go places like supermarkets (unless its a good day and i can make it in a taxi) She has a car and does not realise how degraded i feel practically begging her to help me get to a shop if i run out of milk or something. I had a hospital appointment on Friday and she dropped me outside and drove off saying i was being stupid for worrying about being on my own but i dont know anyone else whose going through this and people dont understand how hard it is to even walk outside the door without having an anxiety attack because the nearest thing to hold onto is more then 2meters! .
Sorry to go on i just think im so lonely as my dd is at her dads until friday and its times like these when i feel so isolated and i come on this site daily but never thought to post about this before.Anyway hope i havent bored anyone to much lol but i hope to make some new friends on here (is that really sad?) Steph xx .</p>Oh my computer is playing up and wont let me change colours, click smilies or do anything lol...i have used paragraphs but when i click submit it changes into 1 big sentance so sorry for that.</p></p>
Recently moved to South Wales
Love the Old Style Boards :D
Major book worm & proud :cool:
True Blood Fangirl #6 ;)
Leslie Pearse Book Fan

Comments

• belfastgirl23
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about how you're feeling? Your illness does really sound horrible and you have all my sympathies about it. But it seems to me that you need some support not just with it but with you trying to cope with it as well. Is there anything in the way of a walking aid you might be able to use? And perhaps you would be entitled to some benefits to get someone to help you with some of the tasks you are relying on your friend for? CAB would be helpful for this and I know here in NI you can talk to them on the phone.

The other thing is do you know of this organisation http://www.vestibular.org/ - they offer support groups and advice on medical experts. There are definitely UK support groups http://www.vestibular.org/images/ResourcePDF/europe.pdf
    There really is nothing like talking to other people who have similar problems to you.

Anyway also to say lots of luck, it sounds like a really unpleasant illness, hope you are feeling better soon.
  • steph25
    steph25 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    Hi belfastgirl23 thank you for replying :)I've taken a look through the links you gave and have added them to me favs.I think I am down and really need to perk myself up, but im nowhere near as bad as i was this time 3yrs ago when i first got this. I couldnt leave the house, i had to get someone else to walk my dd to school...was awful, so I do try to look at the things i Can do now like I got on a bus last week!! yes a bus lol i was sooooo happy and dd was chuffed n said she was proud of me :o
    I went for an appointment last Wednesday (hense the bus trip) to speak to someone about cognative therapy to help overcome some of the anxiety i have but ended up being there for 2 hrs and being grilled on all the things ive been through in my childhood and losing my dad and my first dd. I did feel psychically (spelling) drained and poo afterwards but they've sent me a letter giving me another appointment and i want to go, so i think its something i really should have done a long time ago.Sorry to prattle on! I've had about 2hours sleep n kept waking up, think its because bratty (dd) isnt here. So i think ill go and catch a few hours if i can. </p>Hope you have a good day and ill be back later :rolleyes: </p>Steph xx</p>
    Recently moved to South Wales
    Love the Old Style Boards :D
    Major book worm & proud :cool:
    True Blood Fangirl #6 ;)
    Leslie Pearse Book Fan
  • sooz
    sooz Posts: 4,560 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Steph,

Have look at this site. I was shown it by a friend who suffers from this.
  • tilly's_mum
    Options
    Hi Steph

I have balance problems too -on and off since October 2005. When I am bad I feel like I am on a boat and get panicy if I have to go outside on my own - even going to the corner shop makes me feel ill. I used to be really independant and hate having to rely on others to help me do simple things like get some milk for me or drive me to the hospital.

Have you had a balance assessment at the hospital? Do you see a balance therapist? I see one monthly who gives me vestibular rehabilation exercises and tells me to relax (easier said than done on my own with 2 daughters and one with autism!) and exercise -again easier said than done when you can't walk straight!!
  • JoeyEmma
    JoeyEmma Posts: 913 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have dizzyness problems at the moment. At first I was told it was an ear infection, then labyrinthitis and then vertigo. I've been for assessment at the hospital and have another appointment in a few weeks. I have problems going in the car at times as motion makes it worse and haven't really been able to do much for the past month. Whenever I think its getting better I get knocked back. It is slowly getting better though. I've been off work for 4 weeks as my job involves loads of driving.

I'm bored and stir crazy with it (if you pardon the pun).

On thing that is clear is that anxiety makes dizziness worse. It might be worth having an assessment at your GP to see if you have an underlying anxiety disorder. Some cognitive behavioural therapy might be useful (you can ask your GP for a referral).
  • suzukibabe
    suzukibabe Posts: 1,649 Forumite
    Options
    I had labyrinthitis while i was pregnant last year, first i was told it was dehydration, then an ear infection, hyperemesis, and finally labyrinthitis.
    I had 6 weeks off work and i couldn't go anywhere without DH or his mum to hold on to. I couldn't focus on anything as everytime i moved the room spun.
    GP prescribed anti-dizziness tablets which made worse as one of the side effects were dizziness.
    i know how you feel not being able to do things with your little one, i felt awful not being able to pick DS1 up from school.
    If everyone cared and nobody cried, if everyone loved and nobody lied, if everyone shared and swallowed their pride then we'd see the day when nobody died.
    ROCK IT DON'T STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BE GOOD OR BE GOOD AT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What's worth the prize is always worth the fight
  • sellingmysoul666
    Options
    Hi steph
    sorry to hear you are unwell
    i was diagnosed with labyrinthitis about 18 months ago & off work 6 weeks after previously having glue ear siniuitus & ear infections
    i have but not had a bad spell since just a few dizzy moments
    i found this website very helpful at the time & there are some links which might help
    http://www.labyrinthitis.org.uk/links.htm

the doctors didnt say anything about the nasal spray i was taking for my hayfever but i have been better since i stopped taking it

have you ever tried yoga? it might help even if you just try some of the breathing exercises
    http://www.yogajournal.com/practice/218
    http://www.bwy.org.uk/teachers/local_teachers.php

good luck :heartpuls
    "what lies behind us & what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • poet123
    poet123 Posts: 24,099 Forumite
    Options
    I really sympathise,I had it for a week and it drove me crazy. i hope you get the help you need.
  • Mrs_pbradley936
    Options
    I have a friend who suffers from Menieres disease and it started in her mid 40s. I know that it makes her miserable and embarrassed because people assume she is drunk if it comes on while she is out. Is you condition similar?
    menieres
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this: Sorry, giving or asking for medical advice is not permitted on this forum as it’s not what this site is about. While discussing medical insurance policies, cheaper ways to see consultants, cashback for alternative health treatments and how to get specific medication cheaper (legally) are all perfectly acceptable we ask you specifically not to discuss what to do in the event of certain medical problems (please see this rule on the Health Board). If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse&#64;moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].

steph, I've closed the thread to avoid us drifting into medical advice, but left the posts offering links which, as a former sufferer of 'dizzy spells', I hope you find helpful. Menieres requires 3 symptoms: dizziness, deafness and tinnitus so panic not! At least not until you have all 3 ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport