Comp, network, ntl?

Options
I've just recently set up our home network- 1 pc and 1 laptop.

Im having a bit of trouble sometimes with regards to loading web pages. I'd click on a fav bookmark and the page won't load. Yet i can still type through msn without problems and out of the websites i tried paypal would load and i could log in. When this happens i turn of my laptop and unplug ntl and router for about 10 seconds-this does fix it yet its happening too often and making me :mad:

Any help anyone?

Comments

• icedfusion
    icedfusion Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Not sure on your tech ability - but things to check for are:
    Router is correctly setup with dhcp
    using the correct CAT5 cable - not the CAT5 patch cable for connecting two pc's together. Try just using one cable in both machines to make sure it is not something with the cable.
    To make sure you have an internet conenction, you can open up a command prompt as follows:
    Start->run
    type cmd
    at the command prompt type: ping google.co.uk
    If you get successful pings then you have an internet connection
    Also, try pinging the ip of the other machine on your network to make sure that the router is correctly working.

What router do you have?

ice.
  • moneyuser
    moneyuser Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Does it happen on the desktop as well?

Clear your cache out and maybe even try a different proxy server

Also do a trace route to see where the problem is, open up a command prompt and type in tracert followed by the domain name or ip you are trying to get to eg

c:\>tracert https://www.moneysavingexpert.com
  • highlighter
    highlighter Posts: 423 Forumite
    Options
    Cheers for replying peeps.

My tech ability is ok and ill do what each of you have advised.
    What router do you have?
    It is a Belkin G router.
    Does it happen on the desktop as well?
    Yes it happens on the pc also.

Something to go on anyway :beer:
  • moneyuser
    moneyuser Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it happens on both then it points to a problem with the router or maybe even NTL are having problems?

I take it you didn't have problems before setting up the network? Might want to try just connecting one PC directly to NTL and bypass the router to rule out problems with NTL. If that works then it probably means it's something to do with the router. My linksys router had a factory default setting of only keeping the connection for 10mins, maybe it's something like that?

...Actually thinking about it, you say it's a wireless router so are both connected wirelessly? If so then that is more than likely to be the problem, i.e. losing signal. If both are connected without wires try connecting directly to the router with cat5.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure