LAN plus broadband sharing

Options
I use NTL Broadband and understand that to connect my son's PC so he can also use the connection I would need a DSL router plus a wireless connecter but if we also wish to play games against each other between the two PC's, what else would we need?

Grateful for some expert advice and suggested best buys for all the kit.
Titch :)

Comments

• mike_paterson
    mike_paterson Posts: 1,473 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I use NTL Broadband and understand that to connect my son's PC so he can also use the connection I would need a DSL router plus a wireless connecter but if we also wish to play games against each other between the two PC's, what else would we need?

Grateful for some expert advice and suggested best buys for all the kit.

I am guessing that your PC is connected to the dsl cable modem. If so, then you should be able to easily connect your PC's and share the internet connection simply by connecting the ethernet connections on each pc with a network cable. You can then configure the network simply by following the windows help so that the two machines can talk and share the internet connection.

This is the cheapest solution, but if you want to, you should consider wireless - it all depends what you want, where the pc's are, and how much you want to pay.
    To infinity and beyond!
  • Betty_Boop
    Betty_Boop Posts: 192 Forumite
    Options
    Once you have your router plug both pc's into it (wired or wireless). Both pc's should have a different ip (usually auto assigned)
    Most games can look for a specific IP address so when playing Medal of Honour (for example) start a game on one pc and tell the other pc to join the game via the IP address
  • boogiemaster
    Options
    You need a network crossover cable; a standard cable won’t do because the ends are the same.
    The crossover cable has different colours on each end, I tried the standard cable and it didn’t work.
    I bought the wireless router and I play games with my kids now! Buy a wireless router because they are really easy to set up.
    You set one pc up as the main server and the second connects to it.
    I'm not poor i'm just skint
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport