turned down for nhs continuing care, any point fighting the decision

Options
13»

Comments

• treliac
    treliac Posts: 4,524 Forumite
    Options
    After this they will place a charge for her care against the land registry of the house until it can be sold (which will be very difficult if I cannot get p.o.a). So I assume that once again they need to check if I am telling the truth about the houses value, the joint ownership & the mortgage left to pay so that they know how much money my mum has in capital that can be used to pay for her self funded care.

markymark, If you have joint ownership of the house, you will surely not have to consider selling? It is still your home and presumably you will want to continue to live there. You cannot sell half a house! This should not be under consideration, even more emphatically if you were providing a level of care for your mum before her hospital admission.

It's very sad that you should find youself in such a battle. As has been said, I am sure the staff are reasonable. Most find themselves compromised in trying to be supportive and caring (which brought them into the work in the first place) and in having to implement government policies that most have no faith in anyway.
  • jeanvincent
    Options
    If you need information about Continuing Care go to NHSCare.info. There is a lot of information there. One point to know is that you can appeal against their decision and that you shouldn't give any information to social services about your mothers finances. Since you are appealing against the decision you should tell them you do not agree that social services should be involved and that you are going to appeal to the NHS Trust. I am just starting to go through this process myself for a relative for whom I have enduring power of attorney. I think that you will now have to get what is called Lasting Power of Attorney. Get in touch with your mothers doctor and talk it through with him (not the speech therapist, except for what help she/he may be able to give you in speaking to your mum).
    I''ll probably post some info here once I've got further in the process myself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure