Eye problems in dogs?

Options
Hi,
I have an 8 month old springer spaniel.

Yesterday i noticed her eyes were quite red.

Now a film seems to have developed around the eye - its hard to explain but it doesnt obstruct the pupil but takes up most the space in the corner of her eye and then forms a circle. Its like a layer

She can still see, but it seems to obstruct her view when i move an object around in frount of her.

Does anybody know what might be wrong? Should i bathe her eyes? I'll take to the vets, just wondered if anybody had experienced a similar thing?

thankyou

vtmil

Comments

• ZootHornRollo
    Options
    i'm not sure exaclty whats wrong and taking her to the vet is by far the best course of action.

dogs have a sort of third eyelid that is more prominant in the corner of their eye nearest the nose. it sounds like that may be inflamed. Dogs - especially springers! - are quite prone to eye infections etc due the fact they will run through undergrowth and bushes and not really give a damn what the run into or get in their eye. too busy chasing that elusive bunny!
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
  • SiuLoong
    Options
    I'd agree with the above, there are a variety of rare and unusual conditions that can cause the formation of a layer etc.. over the eye but common things are common and its likely she has a conjunctivitis with some third eyelid protrusion. Either way she should see a vet as soon as possible, its best to get eye problems looked at before they become something to be worried about!! I have a Springer and she had a red gunky eye this morning, so I took her in the vets this morning to get some treatment.. she has a couple of scratches on her eyeball, probably from our kitten, fortunately from a moneysavers point of view it was nice and cheap cos I am her vet!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure