cat passports

Options
can anyone give me advise on cat passport ie whats involved cost, we may be moving to Germany for 3yrs

Comments

• WeirdoMagnet
    Options
    Have a look on the Defra Pet Travel Scheme Website for all the information you need. :)
    "No matter how little money and how few possesions you own, having a dog makes you rich." - Louis Sabin
  • SiuLoong
    SiuLoong Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    Cost depends on the individual practice you use, they should be able to give you an idea over the phone. It involves an ID chip (if not already chipped), a course of rabies vaccinations and a blood test, then the passport document needs to be filled in. Remember the PETS passport is simply to allow the animal reentry to Britain, and that is allowed 6 months following a 'pass' blood test (roughly 8 months from starting the process), you still need to comply with the import regulations of the country you are moving to (in EU that should just be the passport). As a very rough guide the whole process will probably cost around £150
  • yraunaj
    yraunaj Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    how much does it cost to fly them over, and is it just a normal flight that we go on?
  • snowman2_2
    Options
    We charge £125 for the full pet passport (near Manchester) and SiuLoong put the requirements very nicely. Don't know about the cost to Germany for flights but I know someone was quoted £350 to Malaga via Barcelona. £1500 ish for Australia.
    There are a number of companies that will handle the air freight for you; Jets4Pets, Animal Airlines and AirPets to name just three
  • ~cleo~
    ~cleo~ Posts: 583 Forumite
    Options
    yraunaj wrote: »
    how much does it cost to fly them over, and is it just a normal flight that we go on?

they go on a normal flight - although not all airlines will carry animals you would have to check with the airline - dogs and cats are usually put in a pressurised hold which is temperature controlled they are not allowed to travel in the cabin in or out of the UK, i beleive they are checked on by the flight staff during the flight - a friend of mine recently brought her dog back from Los Angeles the flight for the dog cost her £500 with Virgin (i think)
    :rolleyes: Democracy is a process by which the people are free to choose the man who will get the blame.:j
  • heccus
    heccus Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    snowman2 wrote: »
    We charge £125 for the full pet passport (near Manchester) and SiuLoong put the requirements very nicely. Don't know about the cost to Germany for flights but I know someone was quoted £350 to Malaga via Barcelona. £1500 ish for Australia.
    There are a number of companies that will handle the air freight for you; Jets4Pets, Animal Airlines and AirPets to name just three
    Hello,
    I am moving my two cats to France permanently. They have had their microchips & rabies vacc. but I have looked on the website of the French Consulate in London and it does not say that the bloodtest is required. It merely says that they may not travel until after 21 days following the rabies vacc.

My vet wants to charge me £80 per cat for the blood test alone (near Flint/Chester).

My parents took their cat to France & their vet (in the Isle of Man) advised that the blood test was not necessary, only a 21 day delay after the rabies jab, until/unless the cat were to return to the uk.

IS the blood test a REQUIREMENT for the issue of a Pet Passport to take my cats to France?
    Many thanks!
  • SiuLoong
    Options
    As far as I am aware, the blood test is NOT a requirement to travel out of the country but would be required should they ever need to return to the UK. 6 months following the blood test (assuming they pass) they would be able to return. However, if they are not coming back or if they are going to be outside of the country for longer than that period of time then further rabies boosters and the blood test can be done abroad. Regulations vary from country to country and change on a regular basis so don't take this advice as correct without checking with the relevant authorities before travelling!!

Price for the bloods is around £60 here (midlands) but depends on the lab used and any other fees (for taking sample etc..).
  • heccus
    heccus Posts: 11 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you SiuLoong, I'm very grateful for your opinion. Apart from anything else, I don't want to put my babies through any more trauma than is absolutely necessary. (I class a blood test as 'trauma'! - Call me anthropomorphical if you will!)
    Thanks again for taking the time to reply.x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport