How would you get rid of old oil tank????

Options
13»

Comments

• Careful_with_that_Axe
    Options
    Ahhhh - cut it apart - Hmmmmph
    Used to run a Tree Surgeon Company where one of the Aussie Climbers decided to cut open an old oil drum to make a BBQ.
    One large bang and trip to A&E later - the BBQ was't cancelled, but his lack of eyebrows and red face (in ohhh so many ways) were a great talking point.

I would go with advertising on Freecycle or such and hope someone wants it as other posters have suggested.
    I must go, I have lives to ruin and hearts to break :D
    My attitude depends on my Latitude 49° 55' 0" N 6° 19' 60 W
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    Is there enough width to get it around in one peice...?

Plastic trolleys, like supermarkets have to wheel fruit and veg around on...
    Moved an entire steel framed building (about 6mx6m)on them once. Just with a forklift to push it.

A few of them under your tank, wheel it out...castors allow it to go any which way.... if its soft ground, chuck a sheet of ply or two down.
  • ukmike
    ukmike Posts: 751 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some years ago,i had the same problem-old oil tank that was fitted before a brick garage was built in front of it.What i did was to drain as much oil out as i could,then fill up to the top with water,then with an angle grinder cut the top off.Drain all the water out & cut the rest up.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I just got a quote from an OFTEC company to replace my steel tank. They made a big deal about legal requirement to dispose of the old tank environmentally responsibly. The (£2000!) quote was to pump out oil, cut up/remove tank, build new concrete base, supply/fit/commision new bunded tank, pump back oil.
    So a) I guess Vansboy should be looking at legal requirements
    b) Could cut it up as my engineers intend
    c) anyone know a way to find a cheaper supplier!!!!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just found this. Might be helpful.
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We did it with a chain & 4tonne digger, in the end!! That way it stayed in one piece!!

Pumped the oil first, only about 100lt, to the new tank.

The £2000 amount, is probably reasonable, as the new tank will be a good proportion of this & if they did have access dificulty, it all takes time.

We were fortunate, that everything was being done, as part of the refurb.

& didn't pay to have the tank recycled, as we had so much other scrap. from where I removed all the warm air ducting & other metals.

VB
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport