Neutering & Micro-Chipping

Options
Hi I am soon to take ownership of a 5 year old male collie who is a rescue dog, as yet he is un microchipped and un-neutered.

So I am looking for a good price to get these done, we are in West Yorkshire on the border with South Yorkshire. Any ideas would be great.

Thank you in advance

Comments

• dawnydee73
    dawnydee73 Posts: 1,564 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I took my cats to a vet in Dewsbury, is that anywhere near you. Price is good and I've been happy with the treatment
  • BizzyBek
    BizzyBek Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    Contact your local council - they often run lo-cost microchipping drives, may be worth checking if they are currently having one.
  • JemimaP_3
    Options
    Prices can vary massivley from vet to vet.

If he is coming from a reputable rescue he should be neutered before he is rehomed to you. If there is a medical reason why this cannot be done then the resuce should be able to advise you which are the better vets. They may also have negotiated a reduced rate with one.
    Feb GC £80/£120 :(

March Grocery Challenge £100
    Spent so far £64.15 :eek:
    Remaining £35.85
  • pboae
    pboae Posts: 2,719 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    See if http://www.vets4pets.com/customer.asp Vets4pets have a clinic near you. They are usually very competitive for routine stuff.
    When I had my loft converted back into a loft, the neighbours came around and scoffed, and called me retro.
  • SiuLoong
    SiuLoong Posts: 218 Forumite
    Options
    Go to the RCVS website - search for it and its usually the top result. Use their find a vet link and put your postcode in to find a local practice. Look for one that has the 'RCVS accredited practice' logo preferably tier 2 or 3 as this shows that the practice has undergone inspections, as it isn't mandatory. Also be wary of judging a practice on its price for routines as they aren't always the cheapest when something goes wrong. Go with local recommendations or from the website, good veterinary care is worth paying for. Some practices have ID chipping days when it is cheaper, it is always worth having a vet or a veterinary nurse doing the chipping as they will have done hundreds and you know its being done right. It may be easier to have the chipping done at the same time as the neutering (i.e. under the same anaesthetic) as it saves a jab when he will be asleep anyway!
  • snowman2_2
    Options
    I wouldn't use the Practice Standards scheme as a fool-proof system as it is more of a check that the practice has its paperwork in place and plenty of very good practices haven't joined. The best thing to do is approach dog walkers in the park and ask for recommendations. See who they like and dislike. Word-of-mouth is always the best way of advertising.
  • toejumper
    toejumper Posts: 2,441 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    hi any rspca will micro chip for you. i now the one in bawtry near doncaster does it, i think its about £25
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure