ICE - In Case of Emergency

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
38 replies 6.1K views
Former_MSE_DanFormer_MSE_Dan
1.6K Posts
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Money Saving Polls
Poll started 13 July: IN CASE OF EMERGENCY (ICE) A national campaign has been launched to encourage people to store emergency contact details in their mobiles. While we hope they'll never need to be used. Have you done it yet?

a. No - i'm not going to do it.
b. Not yet - but it's on my to-do list.
c. Yes - it's stored.

Vote here

Click reply to discuss

MSE Web Editor, mainly responsible for looking after, and keeping up-to-date, ‘hard-core’ financial articles such as credit cards, savings and loans.

If you spot a rate change that we haven't already mentioned or added into articles or tips, Please send me a PM about it

Don't miss urgent MoneySaving, hear first by getting Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips

Replies

• feijoafeijoa Forumite
    41 Posts
    Yes - excellent idea. Have done it on our 3 mobiles. One thought though - I've put our home phone number as the ICE contact. Should I also have an ICE2 number as an alternative - in case something happens to both of us and therefore nobody to pick up at home?
    if i had known then what i know now
  • A very good idea in principle. I understand you should put ICE1, ICE2, ICE3... for as many people as you might want contacted.

However, I haven't put ICE in my phone's contacts list because it stops the caller ID function working for the members of my family I would want contacted in an emergency. I have a caller group set up for my family so that I know instantly if members of my family are calling me. If I put, say, Mum's mobile under ICE in my contacts, when Mum rings me the phone doesn't know which name to display and instead just displays the number and uses the default ringtone - even if I put ICE in the 'Family' group.

Also... I wonder how many calls the Institution of Civil Engineers (http://www.ice.org.uk/homepage/index.asp) will receive as a result of its members having the institution's number saved under ICE??
  • zodiaczodiac Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Found this on the bbc web site
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/4674331.stm
    I remember when this was just a little website! :money:
  • bridiejbridiej Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is it really necessary to do the ICE thing?

After all, how many of us have "home" or "mum and dad" in our phone books? Just seems a wee bit pointless....

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • Yes, I've done ICE. An email went round where I work about it. The HQ of my company is right above Edgware Road Tube Station and the building shook when the bomb went off. I do have 'Home' and 'Mum' in my phone, but it's always good to have an extra as a precaution.
    :dance::j Take That 23/12/2007:j :dance:
  • NileNile Forumite, Board Guide
    14.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (c) Yes, I've done it.

I was prompted by an e-mail from a friend.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to [email protected]. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. :j :cool2: I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • The idea of consistently using "ICE" rather than presuming the emergency services etc. will know to ring "Home" or "Mum" is so that they know exactly where to look in your phonebook.

Further to my earlier post, I thought of a workaround that avoids the problem of having the same number entered under two different contacts (i.e. ICE and Mum)...

I created a new contact called "ICE - read note". Then, instead of adding a contact number, I added a note telling whoever may be reading it which of my existing contacts to call in an emergency.

This should work with most newer phones.
  • Milky_MochaMilky_Mocha Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry am I missing something? Where's the poll?
    The reason people don't move right down inside the carriage is that there's nothing to hold onto when you're in the middle.
  • bridiejbridiej Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    At the bottom of this page :)

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

I just pop in now and then.... :)
    transcribing
  • Milky_MochaMilky_Mocha Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I created a new contact called "ICE - read note". Then, instead of adding a contact number, I added a note telling whoever may be reading it which of my existing contacts to call in an emergency.

This should work with most newer phones.

Although newer phones have the capabiity for notes wouldn't that be too fiddly? It might be simple enough if you've got a widely known phone with simple functions such as a nokia. On a Sony Ericsson its not so simple and would defeat the following...
    The idea of consistently using "ICE" rather than presuming the emergency services etc. will know to ring "Home" or "Mum" is so that they know exactly where to look in your phonebook.
    The reason people don't move right down inside the carriage is that there's nothing to hold onto when you're in the middle.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals