PC Crashing Help!

Options
BWZN93
BWZN93 Posts: 2,182 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi

My Internet explorer browser keeps crashing, and then coming up with the error reporting, I do it, but it gives me an error message, saying its missing a file.

Also, if I try and run the antivirus programme (norton) it crashes the whole PC a couple of minutes into it.

And occassionally, the PC is crashing for no reason.

Ive moved it further away from the wall incase its overheating, but it doesnt seem to have worked.

Any advice?

Jo xx
#KiamaHouse

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    Options
    Try running your antivirus and any other software you might have such as AdAware, Spybot etc. while in safe mode.

To get to safe mode, press repeatedly on the F8 key on your computer when it starts up. It will stop and give you the option to go into safe mode. It sounds like some kind of virus, (but may not be) so run it in safe mode first to see if it picks up anything. If it comes up with something it can't deal with, do a google search for the virus to find info on how to get rid of it.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • foreverskint
    foreverskint Posts: 1,009 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I had the same problems, but following the antiivrus thread from yesterday and downloaded avast, which cleaned my pc, it's now running much better
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,317 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    download Ace Utilities from

http://www.acelogix.com/

Full 30 day working version !!

run that ,maintenance wizard is best as it does most in one hit..you may need to run it 2 or 3 times to get clear and it will help with the system crashes
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • bluep
    bluep Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Other thing to try is to get your Windows XP disc in the disc drive, then goto Start, Run - type CMD and then when you get the little black command box, type sfc/Scannow and it will look to the Windows XP disc for any files that might have become corrupted or missing in your windows install.

Running anti-virus is a priority though, so try the other steps first. Could also try a program like Speedfan (free) which monitors CPU and HD temp so you could eliminate (or confirm) that as a cause.
  • -TangleFoot-
    -TangleFoot- Posts: 4,673 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    bluep wrote:
    ...type Scf/Scannow
    Shouldn't that be "sfc /scannow"? Note the space; that's pretty important!
  • bluep
    bluep Posts: 1,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    heh. yeah sorry typo!
  • -TangleFoot-
    Options
    Y'can omit this step too if you like:
    bluep wrote:
    ...type CMD and then when you get the little black command box...
    Strictly speaking, it's not even necessary. You only need to use it at all if the command you're typing in returns its results in the Command Prompt's window. :)
  • elvis_bloggs
    elvis_bloggs Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    What does one do if one finds a corrupt file on ones disc.??

Another thing....my computer once automatically went into some sort of self check of files, it said one or more filesmay have corrupted, all the files that was being checked appeared on the screen, it took several minutes to complete and I just sat and watched it all happen, then the computer continued to boot...it thanked me kindly for my patience and told me to go and have a nice cup of tea...nah, last bit I made up but it really did do an automatic check of files to correct something that was not working properly, it seems there is some sort of store of duplicate files that it can copy from and which are unaffected by any corruption. It's all beyond me. 1a_y_sad.gif
  • -TangleFoot-
    Options
    ...my computer once automatically went into some sort of self check of files...
    Same thing; Windows' very own System File Checker. If it finds any critical system files that are not as it expects them to be, it replaces them, either from a cache hidden within one of the system folders or from the Windows installation disc.

This may not however fix problems with individual applications. For that, you'll either need to reinstall them or - for applications integrated into Windows - perform a repair install.

Where Internet Explorer (or Outlook Express, for that matter) is concerned, however, you've got a choice. You can either go with the repair install route as above, or reinstall it, and it alone.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    Options
    jw,

Out of interest what was the problem (or what solved it?)?
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport