windfall will it affect benefits?

Options
Hello, my brother is 67 and claiming benefits (council tax and pension credit) his total savings are nearly £16000. He has just been left £4000 in a friends will so this will take him well over the limit and he will lose his benefits. But as he owes me and my sister more than £4000 from the past he would like to repay us at least the £4000 immediately. Does he have to notify the council or Social Security or whoever about this or does he just repay us and continue as if nothing has happened? Thx for any guidance.

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Options
    Do you have any proof that he owes you this money? The issue would be whether he was truly repaying debt (allowed) or really trying to intentionally deprive himself of capital.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • shelovestobuystuff
    Options
    If his total savings are nearly £16,000 why has he not offered to repay the more than £4000 he still owes you and your sister from the past before now???
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • real1314
    real1314 Posts: 4,432 Forumite
    Options
    The savings rules might be irrelevant - what sort of pension credit does he get, and has he had an AIP set?

If he doesn't know, he should ring the Pension Service and they'll tell him.

If he's within an AIP (Assessed Income Period) then the extra capital is unlikely to affect his benefits in terms of Pension Credit, and proably CTB.
  • jayson1945
    Options
    Seems I need to get some more info from him to understand exactly what he's getting in benefit now, and if he's been straight about his savings in the past.
  • kosma1
    kosma1 Posts: 243 Forumite
    Options
    i thought they got rid of upper savings limit for pension credit, and if 67 could also qualify for savings credits which is worked out based on income and savings (so can sometimes be beneficial to have some put aside)

i haven't worked within pension service for approx 3 years so a bit rusty, maybe someone else can confirm if they no onger have the £16k capital limit?
    Thanks to all who post comps :T

• kosma1
    kosma1 Posts: 243 Forumite
    Options
    and you could also request a full breakdown from pension credit, which will list all benefits/capital they currently have him down as having? may be useful if you are unsure what has been declared before
    Thanks to all who post comps :T

• paisley_lass
    Options
    original post by shelovestobuystuff ...If his total savings are nearly £16,000 why has he not offered to repay the more than £4000 he still owes you and your sister from the past before now???

seems a bit strange to me :confused:
    :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family